Menu

Honors Biology-Blue Tent or Homeschool Connections?

Thinking ahead to next year, trying to plan for Honors Bio for my DS.  The 2 classes I'm really considering right now are Blue Tent and Homeschool Connections.  Anyone have reviews for either? Blue Tent is pricey, but it seems solid and we already own the textbook used for that one.  My son took a Zoology class on Homeschool Connections last year with the same teacher that teaches their Honors Bio class, and he likes her.  The class is also cheaper than Blue Tent's, but uses an old Bio book from 1989.  

We also looked at Schole Academy, since they're using the new Novare Biology book, and my son LOVES the Novare books he's used so far. Their class isn't honors though, and they meet three times a week which is a deal-breaker for DS.  

• Like 1

My DD is in BT’s honors bio now. It’s easy for her and I don’t hear much about it, honestly. I think it’s well-organized and thorough, but because my DD is a very independent, mature 16-year old who has previously taken Physics in 9th and chemistry in 10th, her experience might be different than a younger student’s. How old is your DC?

The teacher does publicly praise the students who perform well. I only mention this because I think that would not work well for my younger DD who I expect to not always be a top performer— she would feel shamed or judged by the implied competition. 

If you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to ask DD to weigh in. She will take the SAT 2 in Biology, so if you check back with me next June, I’ll lyk how well-prepared she was by the class!

• Like 3

@fourisenough my son is turning 14 in January, and will be a freshman for Honors bio.  Biology is his passion so he's done a lot of it over the years, and he'll have a fair amount of Physics and Chem under his belt as well.  He's been taking High School French online so he's used to online high school classes.  Thanks for the feedback, it is helpful! DS really appreciates a well-organized class, and honestly he kind of enjoys the kind of competitiveness you mentioned :) I'll let you know if I have any specific questions.

12 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

@fourisenough my son is turning 14 in January, and will be a freshman for Honors bio.  Biology is his passion so he's done a lot of it over the years, and he'll have a fair amount of Physics and Chem under his belt as well.  He's been taking High School French online so he's used to online high school classes.  Thanks for the feedback, it is helpful! DS really appreciates a well-organized class, and honestly he kind of enjoys the kind of competitiveness you mentioned 🙂 I'll let you know if I have any specific questions.

Sounds like it could be a good fit for your DS. DD said the class skews a little young, so he would likely be in the average age range. The teacher is very responsive by email; I would connect with her to get a feel for her communication style. 

DD has taken a LOT of online classes with many different providers and she says BT’s LMS is the best she’s seen. It’s very organized, logical, and intuitive. 

We are looking at this class as a possibility as well. What is the output like for the class? Is it very writing-intensive or mostly quizzes with some lab reports? Is there a requirement to take notes? Are there several assignments with hard deadlines throughout the week or can you plan how you space out assignments? My son would be 12-13 during the class, but he will have also taken physics, chem, and previous bio.

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

We are looking at this class as a possibility as well. What is the output like for the class? Is it very writing-intensive or mostly quizzes with some lab reports? Is there a requirement to take notes? Are there several assignments with hard deadlines throughout the week or can you plan how you space out assignments? My son would be 12-13 during the class, but he will have also taken physics, chem, and previous bio.

I just asked my DD. When she responds, I’ll update. She has some time before a performance tonight, so I expect she’ll respond within a few hours.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

DD’s hurried response via text message, so not very well-developed (nor punctuated!):

”mostly quizzes and lab reports but there are sort of mini lab reports of data analysis which you often have to write for but it’s not long. we have one discussion post a week but it’s not a ton of writing imo. you don’t have to submit notes so no. everything from the week is due saturday night so there is just a weekly due date. i think her son would be fine and i think it’s easier than both of those classes.”

I asked her to compare it to Clover Creek Physics and Clover Valley Regular Chem, which she took in 9th & 10th respectively. I think it’s possible that the class isn’t actually easier than both of them, but that DD has a good foundation and is now 16 with several very high-output, challenging, AP level classes under her belt. I hope that’s helpful.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fourisenough said:

DD’s hurried response via text message, so not very well-developed (nor punctuated!):

”mostly quizzes and lab reports but there are sort of mini lab reports of data analysis which you often have to write for but it’s not long. we have one discussion post a week but it’s not a ton of writing imo. you don’t have to submit notes so no. everything from the week is due saturday night so there is just a weekly due date. i think her son would be fine and i think it’s easier than both of those classes.”

I asked her to compare it to Clover Creek Physics and Clover Valley Regular Chem, which she took in 9th & 10th respectively. I think it’s possible that the class isn’t actually easier than both of them, but that DD has a good foundation and is now 16 with several very high-output, challenging, AP level classes under her belt. I hope that’s helpful.

Thank you both so much. This is super helpful.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, fourisenough said:

That is helpful, thanks!

On 12/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, fourisenough said:

Tell your DD thanks for this. I can't say how bummed I am that no one has started up Clover Lake Biology. Or Clover Mountain Biology. Or Clover Field Biology.

🎻 😢

Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, someone give this mom the perfect biology. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

Tell your DD thanks for this. I can't say how bummed I am that no one has started up Clover Lake Biology. Or Clover Mountain Biology. Or Clover Field Biology.

🎻 😢

Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, someone give this mom the perfect biology. 

Well there is the Fundafunda biology course taught by a fellow boardie. I don't remember it listed as "honors", though. You could ask! My dc took bio2 with the same teacher the following year and enjoyed that too. The bio course is as well organized as the clover creek chem class they are taking now, and the Fundafunda class costs quite a bit less.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

🎻 😢

Right?!? Maybe by the time my DD11 is ready for it someone will have created it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...