Menu

Anyone used the 7th and 8th grade CLE social studies books?

staceyobu

Changing Frontiers and Across the Ages? I'm considering having my 7th grader use Changing Frontiers next year because her 9th grade brother will also be doing a year of American history for 9th. Is Changing Frontiers significantly more difficult than Across the Ages? My plan would be to reverse the order of those two books. 

Take it with a large dose of salt, since I am basing this solely on the samples from the website, but I think you could switch the 7th and 8th grade history books and be fine.  It doesn't seem like the output expected or the reading level jumps significantly between books. 

Or you could wait for an opinion from someone who has actually used the books. 😉

Here is a thread with some thoughts on CLE's middle grades history...

Edited by Zoo Keeper

19 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Take it with a large dose of salt, since I am basing this solely on the samples from the website, but I think you could switch the 7th and 8th grade history books and be fine.  It doesn't seem like the output expected or the reading level jumps significantly between books. 

Or you could wait for an opinion from someone who has actually used the books. 😉

Here is a thread with some thoughts on CLE's middle grades history...

Hey... I just need a homeschool buddy to bounce decisions off of! I'll totally take your advice!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have no experience with either but I agree they seem interchangeable based on samples. Additionally, a friend is homeschooling her granddaughter for the first time this year, using only CLE, and they are both in love with Changing Frontiers. Since it was on my radar, I plan to buy it from her when they have completed it.

I bought the 8th grade book this year for my 7th and 8th graders. It was a gorgeous book, but I opted for the Memoria Press American history program instead because I just needed a more focused (smaller) book that wasn’t an every day thing. However, I’m seriously considering the 7th grade Western civ book for my 8th grader next year. I love the idea of a total history review before he goes to public high school. I’m not worried about the reading level being too easy or anything. It’s the content that I want to stick and I know that I personally learn better when things are below my reading level. Following for others opinions because I’d love to hear how others are liking this book!

My daughter used the CLE 8th grade program (Changing Frontiers) last year as a 9th grader.  She also joined me and some siblings in going through Notgrass's Uncle Sam and You and a bunch of American history read-alouds.  For this motley hodge-podge, I gave her a credit of US History.  

Dd absolutely loved the program (Changing Frontiers)!  It was very engaging, and she felt like she learned sooo much.  

As we were deciding what to do for this, her 10th grade year, she begged to do something similar for World History.  I didn't find anything similar enough for high school, so went with another high school history program. Dd learned nothing for two months!  I finally broke down and ordered the 7th grade program (Across the Ages), and she is super happy and feels that she is learning again.  I plan to have her CLEP Western Civilization at the end of the year, just to make myself feel better about using a "7th grade" program for a high school student.  

• Like 3

Just throwing this out there -- we bought the 7th grade world history program, Across the Ages, and then ended up going a totally different way for history. (Nothing to do with the program - it looks great.)

Everything is brand new/unused/complete (text, 2 answer keys, 10 LUs). I'll eventually be listing it for sell but maybe someone here can save me that step, lol. Anyone interested, feel free to shoot me a PM. 🙂

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Just throwing this out there -- we bought the 7th grade world history program, Across the Ages, and then ended up going a totally different way for history. (Nothing to do with the program - it looks great.)

Everything is brand new/unused/complete (text, 2 answer keys, 10 LUs). I'll eventually be listing it for sell but maybe someone here can save me that step, lol. Anyone interested, feel free to shoot me a PM. 🙂

I just messaged you!