Menu

Everglades National Park-Tent camping at Flamingo Campground-in December-any recommendations or BTDT thoughts.

AngelaGT

26 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I can’t see your sig line so I don’t know the ages of your children, but I would not tent camp the Everglades with young kids. I could not enjoy being there because I felt I had to remain hyper vigilant. It’s a fascinating place but day touring was sufficient for me (and I’m a rather adventurous person).

ETA if you’re set on going and wondering about timing, December would probably be fine, weather wise.

I agree. I think minimum age 16, and that’s only if they were very responsible. 

• Thanks 1

The weather will be good in December but I agree with others. It's not the best place to camp 1. If you have young children, or 2. If you're used to full facility campsites. Most of the sites are quite primitive. though not back country. They do have back country sites but they require a wilderness permit in addition to reservations. If you're determined to camp I'd recommend Long Pine Key Campground near Homestead. 

Also,  while I don't know about Everglades Park in particular,  I can tell you about visiting National Parks in COVID times even in non restrictive states.  Yes, we were able to visit all the parks in late Aug through Mid Sept that we went to.  No, visitor centers weren't open at almost any of them.  Furthermore, campsites at almost all of them were closed.  These were parks in MN, ND, SD, and NE when at least some of those states didn't have closures or mask ordinances or even hardly anyone having COVID.  And it was really random as to what was open and to what extent.

I would be calling Everglades NP to find out what is open and not.

As to campgrounds, we avoid NP campgrounds simply because they are so much more primitive than even most state park grounds.  We want water and electricity and showers.  Or I should say I want. Dh has done backwoods camping but even he is more likely to want comforts nowadays.