Menu

It's not respiratory, it's the flu :( What can I take while pg?

I don't know how helpful this will be to you, but when I was really sick last month (I'm 9mos) my chiropractor/naturopath put me on extra vitamin A. I took a vit. A supplement and upped my cod liver consumption. He put me on a couple of other things to help my Thymus function better but I don't think you can get them except through a health provider... sorry. :(

The extra Vit. A does help. Just don't take WAY too much.

Take a lot of garlic. It's got lots of antibacterial/viral properties. If your flu just started try putting 1/2 a capful of hydrogen peroxide in each ear. Let it sit in your ear until it stops bubbling and fizzing. It helps TONS!!! Feels really funny, but works GREAT if you do it early enough.

Also, homeopathics are safe during pregnancy. Take Oscillococcinum!!! It is amazing!!! Again, must be taken within first day or two of onset of symptoms or it is less helpful. Look up a google search of other homeopathics that can help... Belladonna is good for fever. I've taken these under recommendation from naturopath and they all really helped me with my bout of the flu.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

And will it help since I already have the full-blown flu, or should I try the other things you suggested?

It won't be as effective if you already have full-blown flu, sorry. :( I know I took it last month and felt much much better. But then I blew it by not getting enough sleep for a couple nights and felt worse again. I asked about taking a second round of it but was told it wouldn't help much. Same thing for the hydrogen peroxide... you could try it, but I've found (and heard) that it works best when used at onset of symptoms.

Sorry!! Vit. A will help your immune system as will garlic. Those should help any time though they won't bring any immediate relief.

I love Oscillococcinum, but didn't know I could take it while pg. And will it help since I already have the full-blown flu

I know in Switzerland, it's common course to take it, pregnant or not. Would've helped more if you'd taken earlier, though, yes. Sorry you're not well, Kendra.:(

It's nice to know someone out there feels sorry for me ;) Don't you think being ill is one of the hardest things about being a mom? My kids have been sweet and helpful (hubby, too), but I don't think anyone here knows the meaning of the word "quiet". My head is pounding and my eyeballs ache. :(

• 10 months later...

I drink lots of red raspberry leaf tea. I also took elderberry syrup. Sambucol makes a good one. I also consume lots of garlic. I make an onion soup http://www.herballegacy.com/Onion_Soup.html and press fresh garlic into it. Yum.

Please note, because I am a Master Herbalist and not a doctor, none of this is to be construed as medical advice. This my personal experience and I am not advising you to do any of this. Please speak to a healthcare professional about your condition.