Menu

Baby chick wwyd

Ausmumof3

It’s about 2.30am and our power just dropped out.   Have 10 day old chicks in the brooder outside.  It’s currently 28 Celsius (82 F).  Powers supposedly coming on.  It’s not meant to go below 26 (78f) overnight and it’s too hot for comfy sleep. 

would you move them inside?  I could wake up dh to start the generator but he will not be happy about being woken up.  I know they can survive it indoors because we’ve had it happen before but I’m not sure about in the brooder outdoors.  It’s pretty warm and they aren’t cheeping at all.

19 minutes ago, saraha said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. You can always check on them and reevaluate if they seem in distress or in danger of suffocating each other from huddling up too tight

Thank you. 

I have brought them in.  I’m 99pc sure they were going to be fine - if anything they feel a touch too hot.  But there’s a lot of thunder in the distance and I’m worried about a sudden temp drop when it gets here.  This way I’ll be able to sleep if that’s at all possible with the humidity.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Too late now I know. 

When I was a kid I would regularly hand read baby chicks. I never gas a brooder, just used a hot water bottle. And made a sort of tent over the chicks at night with a towel

I did think about a hot water bottle but we just switched recently from gravity fed storage to an instantaneous system that needs power so that was out.  Interesting to know you managed to raise chicks that way all the way through though not just as an emergency measure.  I’ve had a couple of times when I’ve wanted to separate chicks and been short of a lamp so I’ll keep that in mind.

• Like 2