Menu

Essay Writing Curriculum

goldenecho

I don't know how much instruction, exactly, you are looking for, but I have a copy of The Norton Sampler (7th ed) that I'm hoping to dig into with my dc soon. There are two introductory type chapters. The rest of the book is organized by essay type. Each chapter has a number of example essays, and after each essay are some discussion questions, questions highlighting Strategies and Structures in the essay, questions or instructions for looking closely at Words and Figures of Speech in the essay, and lastly two prompts For Writing. The last chapter presents Classic Essays and Speeches with comprehension and discussion questions for each one. I would like to choose an essay or two from each section, but I always get distracted just reading the book, the essays are well chosen. I should find time to read through the book and eliminated that problem!

Amazon probably has a look inside view. I can't remember who on the Board mentioned it originally.

• Like 1

This is for the 6th grader from your other thread?

Unless the student is super solid with paragraphs, I'd suggest doing the first suggestion below, which does introduce the essay at the end, and then move into the second suggestion below. No personal experience with the third suggestion below, but it looks like it has a lot of graphic organizers, which can be helpful for some students. 

from Teacher Created Materials:
How to Write a Paragraph (gr. 6-8)
How to Write an Essay (gr. 6-8)

possibly:
Building Writing Skills level 2 (gr. 6-7) -- sample pages

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...