Menu

My grain mill died! Replacement? UPDATE

kesmom

UPDATE! The Mockmill 100 came today and it's great! Thank you for answering my questions.

-----------------------

I bought a second-hand Nutrimill a little over a year ago and today it completely stopped working. Dh looked it over and tried resetting the circuit switch, but no luck. That's fine, it was an extremely inexpensive way to give it a try. Now I am looking at replacement options......

- I could get the same model, the Classic, and just not think more about it. This model was commonly recommended and on my wishlist for years. Now there are more options to consider.....

- I could get the Plus model, which is supposedly a little quieter but would have a small learning curve for the assembly etc.

- I could get the Harvest model or something like the Mockmill, which is a stone/burr grinder. It would also be slightly quieter and not heat the grain as much. Smaller footprint, but mine would be stored in a closet regardless.

Thoughts? I tend to use mine about once a week and come close to filling my Classic.

Edited by kesmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Get the Mockmill 100! I used to have a Nutrimill, and there is no comparison. I don't think I've ever been as attached to a kitchen appliance as I am to my Mockmill, lol. ❤️

How is the speed compared to the Nutrimill? I was looking at this comparison chart and the milling rate (ounces per minute)  of the Mockmill 100 was listed as quite a bit slower than the Nutrimill Classic.

18 minutes ago, kesmom said:

How is the speed compared to the Nutrimill? I was looking at this comparison chart and the milling rate (ounces per minute)  of the Mockmill 100 was listed as quite a bit slower than the Nutrimill Classic.

It's slower than the Nutrimill, but I only grind as much flour as I need for one recipe at a time, so speed isn't really an issue for me. Milling with the Nutrimill seemed like a production because it got flour everywhere and I had to clean out the tub every time. With the Mockmill I just mill directly into the bowl or container I'm using, so if I need 600 grams of flour for a bread recipe, I just throw ~610 grams of grain in there and mill it directly into the mixing bowl. There's no flour all over the counter and nothing to clean up, I just tap it to make sure all the flour is out of the chute and that's it. And it's so much quieter than the Nutrimill! So for me those things far outweigh the faster speed of the Nutrimill, since it really doesn't make any difference to me whether it takes a few more minutes to grind 600 grams of flour. For someone who wants to grind large amounts of flour at once, the Nutrimill might make more sense, but I love having just-ground flour every time I bake, and that's super easy to do with the Mockmill since there's no clean up.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It's slower than the Nutrimill, but I only grind as much flour as I need for one recipe at a time, so speed isn't really an issue for me. Milling with the Nutrimill seemed like a production because it got flour everywhere and I had to clean out the tub every time. With the Mockmill I just mill directly into the bowl or container I'm using, so if I need 600 grams of flour for a bread recipe, I just throw ~610 grams of grain in there and mill it directly into the mixing bowl. There's no flour all over the counter and nothing to clean up, I just tap it to make sure all the flour is out of the chute and that's it. And it's so much quieter than the Nutrimill! So for me those things far outweigh the faster speed of the Nutrimill, since it really doesn't make any difference to me whether it takes a few more minutes to grind 600 grams of flour. For someone who wants to grind large amounts of flour at once, the Nutrimill might make more sense, but I love having just-ground flour every time I bake, and that's super easy to do with the Mockmill since there's no clean up.

Thank you! I do usually grind a larger amount (9-10 cups of grain) so it's definitely a consideration. I should watch a few more videos.....

2 hours ago, kesmom said:

The Mockmill 100 is the only grain mill I've ever owned. It sure doesn't seem "slow" to me. Not for a family's needs.

And it is relatively quiet and doesn't make a mess. No flour flying everywhere.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bibiche said:

Thanks! Those are hulled, but according to my reading it looks like it can handle whole buckwheat too. 👍🏼 

For some large items they suggest making two passes.

One to crack the "grains" (or similar) and another to mill the cracked grains into a flour.

I did this two stage approach with some chickpeas when I wanted besan flour. Not sure it would be necessary with whole buckwheat.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• kesmom changed the title to My grain mill died! Replacement? UPDATE

Enjoy the Mockmill 100. I don't think you'll regret it. Please post a review when you get a chance.

Do be very careful to isolate the two springs when/if you get a jam and need to open the top up to clear it. They are very small and easy to misplace. Ask me how I know? LOL. I found my lost spring just after having a new one shipped out.

Enjoy!

Bill

• Like 1