Menu

Math After AP Calculus (and Where?)

48 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Speaking of which, what ever happened to Proof School? I never hear about people's kids going there. That seems like the type of thing you're talking about, right? Do you ladies ever hear any news about it?

https://www.proofschool.org/

Just checked Wiki and apparently only 119 students, so I guess that's why I haven't heard people talking much about it. 

I know a kid who goes there, actually. He's the son of a Berkeley math professor. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Nothing. Most kids (again normal kids) aren’t. I would love to see gifted schools (like the math ones that existed in Russia), but for the normal school, doing math justice through calculus is a better goal. 

Oh, honestly, I'd be happy if kids got through algebra and quit. But I mean, they actually understood algebra and algebraic manipulations and fractions, not just "they passed the class." 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've been doing a lot of this with DD8, lol! "Please say that again, this time paying attention to the genders." 😛 

My problem is how bad my brain is at separating languages. I'm always impressed with people who are polyglots and can keep them all straight. I'll be in the middle of saying a sentence in Spanish and then for the life of me, the only word I can think of for the noun/verb that I need will be its Russian/French/sometimes random German or Hebrew word equivalent and I am completely stopped dead in my tracks.

ETA: Just to be clear, I don't speak all those languages with anywhere near equal level of fluency.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

My problem is how bad my brain is at separating languages. I'm always impressed with people who are polyglots and can keep them all straight. I'll be in the middle of saying a sentence in Spanish and then for the life of me, the only word I can think of for the noun/verb that I need will be its Russian/French/sometimes random German or Hebrew word equivalent and I am completely stopped dead in my tracks.

When I learned English, it kicked all of my Ukrainian out of my head. Literally. I'd been going to an "Ukrainian immersion" school in Ukraine for something like 6 years at that point, and suddenly, I couldn't think of a single word -- only English words came. (Russian stayed, because it was my first language.) 

Edited by Not_a_Number

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

When I learned English, it kicked all of my Ukrainian out of my head. Literally. I'd been going to an "Ukrainian immersion" school in Ukraine for something like 6 years at that point, and suddenly, I couldn't think of a single word -- only English words came. (Russian stayed, because it was my first language.) 

Brains are weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Roadrunner said:

What do you hear? how is it different or similar to a more traditional school? 

They really like it, I think, but I haven't actually SEEN them since he's started going -- when we were last talking about it with them, they were agonizing about whether they should send him there or stick with their small Mandarin-immersion charter school. And I'm sure COVID has disrupted everything. 

I think their day is very math-centric. I think they also don't have outdoor space, maybe, and they weren't located in the world's most appealing part of SF. But the kid is very mathy and very problem-focused and apparently loves it. 

I'll report more when we can travel and actually go down and see them in SF. We usually go there a few times a year.... drat that COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

By the way, the kid is not actually a Mandarin speaker at home 😛 . They just did Mandarin immersion as a way to give him something to learn at school, since he's gifted and may have otherwise been quite bored. 

We have Spanish immersion one here for elementary. 

• Like 1