Menu

Anyone doing the FLL Challenge this year?

I am curious as to how much time your team spends on average. We have a very small team but obviously with a single mat and challenge set, and evolving Corona conditions  our time together is proving difficult...And we are thinking of moving further north for snow season so I may need to front load the team time anyway.. Was wondering what's normal. Ds did it a long time ago, for one season, but it was a much bigger team and I cannot recall how much time, only that it was uneven

Last year our team practiced twice a week for about 2 hours each, with a few extra practices to work on projects, field trips about the project etc. . . I am super sad that our team is not doing it this year due to everything being online for Covid. We love our FLL team and miss them! 

22 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

Last year our team practiced twice a week for about 2 hours each, with a few extra practices to work on projects, field trips about the project etc. . . I am super sad that our team is not doing it this year due to everything being online for Covid. We love our FLL team and miss them! 

this is super helpful, thank you. Wow, that is quite the time commitment. We are at about half that currently but I am always looking for more times to get the small team together. 

Anyone else?

The one we were involved in until this year met for two hours a week until about December and then tried to get in another meeting. Our qualifying tournaments were usually in January and preceded by at least two meetings a week and sometimes four or five. Then on to regionals preceded by two or three meetings a week. It was a lot.  Ds asked if we could find an FTC team which didn’t win so he could do robots but not be consumed by meetings.  He’s doing a rookie team this year with a focus on learning which hopefully will be lower key.

I live in a very intense area. I think we met too often.  We did well, and possibly that amount of work was necessary around here. We think you can still have a good season meeting less frequently.  I’m not sure about front loading like you are talking about. It would be hard from our experience—but may be worth it for your goals for the team.

6 hours ago, freesia said:

The one we were involved in until this year met for two hours a week until about December and then tried to get in another meeting. Our qualifying tournaments were usually in January and preceded by at least two meetings a week and sometimes four or five. Then on to regionals preceded by two or three meetings a week. It was a lot.  Ds asked if we could find an FTC team which didn’t win so he could do robots but not be consumed by meetings.  He’s doing a rookie team this year with a focus on learning which hopefully will be lower key.

I live in a very intense area. I think we met too often.  We did well, and possibly that amount of work was necessary around here. We think you can still have a good season meeting less frequently.  I’m not sure about front loading like you are talking about. It would be hard from our experience—but may be worth it for your goals for the team.

Thank you. Two hours a week we can almost manage now. It’s just hard with COVID etc. I think we need to get creative about assigning tasks. We already nixed the idea of moving north for ski season so won’t need to front load, and our area generally is the opposite of intense, lol.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ds did FTC and it was wow, at least 10-20 hours a week for him... sometimes many more..

the FLL team met maybe 5-10 hours a week?

These were teams run by homeschooling families with kids highly into FIRST and went to Worlds several times so far.
Ds volunteers for FIRST now & is working in that field. It was worth all the hours and driving... the best thing we ever did, by far.