Menu

Did I betray the baptismal promises I made for my kids?

Terabith

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

As a Catholic, I found it awful that those children weren't allowed communion.  After all, no one was questioning me about what I thought about communion -and even then I didn't believe in transubstantiation (and in looking up how to spell it on google, I found out that only a third of Catholics believe it).   In fact, many of those 6th graders were surprised and hurt that they couldn't have communion.

To be fair, the Catholic Church requires learning about, and affirming belief in, transubstantiation before ever receiving Communion. It's a well-known belief that is frequently referenced. They aren't going to ask people about it every week any more than they are going ask people if they are in a state of grace every week; it is the responsibility of that person to take Communion or not. 

No one questions those walking up for Communion in a regular service about any of those things, but if you are a non-Catholic attending a Catholic school, then it is already known that you haven't made your First Communion in the Catholic Church. 

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

That’s all a shame.  You should have had someone to talk to about those thoughts who would have advised you to abstain from Eucharist under those conditions. They should have someone to advise new families to the school of the situation so kids don’t get hurt and can grow in understanding. 

That said I’m not surprised.  Everyone here calls our local catholic high school the place to be if you want to leave the faith. 🥺

No, I didn't need to talk to anyone.  There was nothing wrong with me going to communion without believing in transubstantiation.  66% of Catholics don't believe in it and I bet most go to communion.  Because it becomes just like the reason we go to communion in Protestant churches- we believe in remembering the Last Supper and also we believe God wants us to do it.  As John Calvin put it, it is a symbolic feast- one which spiritually feeds us.  And I have no idea what they said to the parents and what the parents said to the kids, but while this wasn't the reason we left the Catholic church, their exclusionary process does bother us.  As do some of their other practices like the anti- Celiac practice.

Oh, and as it was, we did go to Catholic communion a few years ago.  We attended a Mass at the Cathedral in New Orleans and we went to communion.  Because we haven't been excommunicated and because for us, it is meaningful and others weren't disgraced or anything. (Unlike like that now ex- priest in Louisiana)

40 minutes ago, katilac said:

To be fair, the Catholic Church requires learning about, and affirming belief in, transubstantiation before ever receiving Communion. It's a well-known belief that is frequently referenced. They aren't going to ask people about it every week any more than they are going ask people if they are in a state of grace every week; it is the responsibility of that person to take Communion or not. 

No one questions those walking up for Communion in a regular service about any of those things, but if you are a non-Catholic attending a Catholic school, then it is already known that you haven't made your First Communion in the Catholic Church. 

I do not remember talking about transubstantiation in my 6th grade but like I said in a pp post, whether someone knows that they are supposed to believe in it- and as I said, most Catholics aren't in agreement with transubstantiation and still go.  No one in any class or CCD or anywhere ever asked if I believed in transubstantiation. Also, I grew up in the 60s and 70s and from what I can remember about the church and what was taught and expected, it wasn't very much.  I didn't learn anything in CCD except that I like Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.  Otherwise it was basically God Loves You type of stuff.  No one was going to confession every week so I expect no one was in official state of grace.  My dh says the same happened to him- no real info at all. 

But then again, my Father got me a red letter KJV Bible (he wanted me to be able to tell what Jesus said) maybe for First Communion ????  (can't remember exactly when but certainly before 6th grade).  He was a journalist but at one point, I think when he lived in England, he wrote a book about St, Thomas and his philosophy.  My mom, after my dad died when I was 13 and in 7th grade) still attended Catholic Church until she died but got much more comfort from some Christian but not Catholic women authors- some who were also widows but then she expanded her reading.  

We were all believers but more like Apostle's Creed believers and not necessarily in all RC beliefs.  That was true of my dh too and My MIL probably had the most traditional beliefs but hers were still pre- Vatican so I don't know if she would have been a ok either.

But all those rules is why I go to a church that focuses on God's grace and not lots of rules.  We do rules when it comes to legal matters like how we can change how many deacons we have or something like that.  But not on things like are you in or out of grace if you did or did not have communion or thought correctly or incorrectly about it.