Menu

Going from RS math to BJU math

Bokons

My 9yos just finished RS C. He didn't like it even though I thought it was a good program. I was going to continue with RS D, but there is no enthusiasm for it, and ds complains and groans about hating math. After reading the posts about switching to BJU, I am thinking of going that route with him. I also like all the supplements I've read about.

Since he has finished RS C, would he go into BJU grade 3 math? Does BJU have placement tests?

Thanks.

Colleen

I'm going to bump this up for OhElizabeth to see. She did some of D with her dd and then went into BJU.

My older ds completed RS D and we went into BJU 6, but math comes somewhat easily to him. My younger ds completed RS B and a little of C and I took him all the way back to 1st grade BJU (which he is ZOOMING through) and we'll start 2nd BJU this year too. He needed more practice with subtraction which is where he started to bog down in C. He needed the written practice.

Both my boys say they like the BJU better than RS; I'm glad they had the conceptual learning that they did with RS.

Every BJU year starts off with review of the previous year, so you could look at the 1st chapter of BJU3 online (no samples that I know of) and the S&S for 3rd and compare it to the S&S for BJU2.

Yes, BJU was a good change for us and resolved the issues you're talking about. I don't use the tm and instead try to present the BJU stuff the RS-way. As far as placement, I really can't say. As Pen said, you can see the scope & sequence and first sections of each level at http://www.bjup.com For my dd, there was an issue with fact speed. Conceptually she was ready to move forward in BJU4, but the speed wasn't there. I finally bought her the BJU3 and had her work through it at lightning speed. She's much faster now and feeling more confident. If I could suggest, I'd lean toward placing back and moving forward more rapidly. You're changing style as well as content. The levels are so inexpensive ($15 if you skip the tm), that you could buy a couple levels and use them however you want (concurrently, skipping portions, etc.). I didn't skip a lot though, because I realized that my dd needed to do stuff that was incredibly easy to build speed and confidence. But maybe you've been a lot more faithful on the drill in RS than I was?

The one thing I regret is thinking the Stretch Your Mind book would be adequate to transition her through the BJU3 content and into BJU4. That didn't work out well at all, because she needed flat more practice with written, boring written, not concepts.

So just pick a point and play around with it, see what seems right. Like Pen says, the beginning of the level will be total review and should be a breeze. By the middle you're in new material, and at the end the content is as challenging as what you'll cover in the next book. So I'd pick whatever book looks like it will be a breeze, let him go forward at a comfortable pace (my dd did 5-6 lessons a day of the 3rd grade book in 35 minutes), and see how he naturally slows as it gets more challenging. I didn't test her out, because she needed that practice. For all the sections she could have passed the tests and did. The issue was needing the practice. But maybe that's not your issue.

Sorry to ramble. My belly is full and indecisive. Transitioning isn't fun, but you're going to get through this. Buy a couple different things (levels, some of the supplemental workbooks) and just find what combo really helps you get your stride. It's a very nice, solid curriculum with good test scores. I like that I can get ALL the elements I expect in a math curriculum (drill, spiral review, challenging problems, etc.) all in one curriculum, all correlated and ready to go. I like that I can tailor the quantity of practice to fit her. I'd rather not have to skip problems the way you would with Saxon or Abeka. It's also handy that they can do the work themselves in a pinch. I don't think you get as good a result if you constantly leave them to their own devices, but the explanation is there and adequate for them to proceed if you're in a pinch or they're the type who like to do things for themselves.

We did RS levels through C and transitioned for the same reasons. We also went on the BJU for the strong conceptual feel that i liked from RS. But, much easier to get through IMHO. DD went nicely into BJU3rd. But, just so you know. They are coming out with the 3rd edtition of 3rd grade for next fall if that makes a difference. I wish we were one year behind to get the newer editions that my ds gets to do. They are so much better than 2nd editions because the review is in the lesson as opposed to using a different "review book" from BJU (But, i do like the drilling on the opposite side of the review book). Anyways, just wanted to give you that little FYI! I think you will find BJU a nice breath of fresh air from RS.....and please dont think that you have to do EVERYTHING in the TE....just use what you need....or you will burn out.:D

It was enough for my K'er but, it may be different for the olders. It is nice that they include that little bit of spiral in the newer editions (included in the workbook page for the day), because it does help to keep things fresh. KWIM? (as opposed to not seeing it again for a long while....)

Okay....I'll go check out my new 2nd grade book and see.

ETA: Scratch that....I have 2nd edition of 2nd grade.

Editing again: I have 3rd edition of 1st grade. It does have a little review included. I'll have to see how that works for my younger vs. doing Reviews. They don't make the Reviews book for 3rd ed, 3rd grade.....maybe because of how they've integrated it?

Since I have all the manipulatives from RS, would I still need the teacher and student packets for BJU? I'm hoping to be able to just use the RS manipulatives.

Unfortunately, my 9yos needs to get a math book now, so I can't wait until the fall. I've looked at the TOC for 2nd and 3rd, and it looks like I'll be getting the 3rd grade book for him. At least my youngest two dss will be able to use the 3rd editions when it's their time.

I feel more confident after reading your replies. Thanks, again!

Colleen

Colleen-I wouldn't bother with the tm or student pack. As you say, you're going to use your RS manipulatives and can present things the RS way. And it would be a bummer to buy the tm now and again for your next kids. I don't miss it at all, but I'm comfortable picking up the student workbook and presenting it myself. If you want more guidance, by all means get the tm.

Johanna, thanks, I didn't know there was a new edition coming out!

the 3rd edition of Math 4? I have decided to go with Math 3 for my ds now, but after looking at the samples online, I think that he will fly through most of it like OhE's dd.

Hopefully he will enjoy BJU math and get over his dislike of math.

Elizabeth, could you go over the differences between the Spread your Wings, the Stretch your Mind, and Spring into Action activity books?

Thanks so much :)!

Colleen