Menu

Question about using Sonlight

JaniceO

I am thinking about using Sonlight next year as our history/readers. Would Core 3+4 work well with a 2nd grader, 4th grader, and 6th grader? I was thinking about adding the Time Travelers cd's for a little bit of hands on as well.

I know it may be a little difficult for the youngest one, but I think that's ok. Just exposing him to history is good. And I can adjust things for him. Will it be challenging enough for my 6th grader?

We are using SOTW this year and I'm looking for a change for next year. We need something secular and I think Sonlight looks easy enough to make secular.

I think that would work well, 3+4 moves pretty fast and should be fine for a 6th grader, Iused it when my son was 12 and he just did more reading and really enjoyed it. Your 2nd grader won't get as much out of it but will probably go through American history again some other time, right? Plus, it's very easy to find picture books and easy readers on American history in the library.

The hsing parents at the SL choosing forum always have good advice if you want to ask there too.

Register on the SL board...you'll be able to ask this question on the Choosing forum (you won't have access to post on the rest of the forums, though) and you'll get tons of really great advice. We're using Core 1 right now with a 7 year old. You'll also be able to read what others have suggested for similar age ranges on the Choosing forum.

ETA: 3+4 will be exceptionally challenging for your second grader, and fine for your sixth grader. Core 3+4 moves very fast.

I tried Core 3 when my kids were 2nd and 4th grade because they were both exceptional readers. The core was way too much for both of them. I think 3+4 will work well for your 6th grader. For the 2nd grader, you can substitute some easier books. I wouldn't have the 2nd grader listen to all the reading in the core. Focus more on the basics and if you're following WTM, you can still do dictation and narrations.

I just ordered Core 5 for my children who are ages 10 and 12. I hope it won't be too much for them! SL Cores are definitely not grade levels.

I'm currently using Sonlight core 3 with my boys who are 9 and 4. I think that 3 moves a little quick, so I imagine 3+4 does move really quick. My 4yo is really bright (reads on a 3rd or 4th grade level) but he get lots out of Sonlight. I do not have him do any of the read alone books, but he sits with us for core subjects and some of LA. He can tell you all about how Ronanoke failed and then came Jamestown... and he is gaining a great understanding of geography.

Some of the reading may be a little a below your oldest, but I think he will still find it enjoyable. And it isn't hard to find more books for him to read on the subjects (at least once you get to the colonies). I would probably require a little more from him in the way of "min-reports" and reading summaries, but I think there is plenty there for him to learn and enjoy.

HTH

I am thinking about using Sonlight next year as our history/readers. Would Core 3+4 work well with a 2nd grader, 4th grader, and 6th grader? I was thinking about adding the Time Travelers cd's for a little bit of hands on as well.

I know it may be a little difficult for the youngest one, but I think that's ok. Just exposing him to history is good. And I can adjust things for him. Will it be challenging enough for my 6th grader?

We used it in 5th grade & didn't do all the readers/read aloud in one year.

I have it for sale if you're interested.

We are using SOTW this year and I'm looking for a change for next year. We need something secular and I think Sonlight looks easy enough to make secular.

Janice,

I wouldn't do it. I would either go with Core 1+2 or with Core 3. If you look at the catalog at Landmark History of the American People you will see that it is listed as a read aloud (not reader) for grades 5 to adult. This is your co-spine (along with Story of the US which is simpler and works better for the little kids) and every year there are a ton of people with 3rd grader's who have problems with this book.

Lets "look" at it.

2008 Core 3+4 (2nd, 4th, 6th)

2009 Core 5 (3rd, 5th, 7th)

2010 Core 6 (4th, 6th, 8th)

2011 Core 7 (5th, 7th, 9th)

2012 Core 3+4 (6th); Core 100 (8th, 10th)

2013 Core 5 (7th); Core 200 (9th, 11th)

2014 Core 6 (8th); Core 300 (10th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

2015 Core 7 (9th); Core 400 (11th)

2016 Core 100 (10th); Core 530 (12th)

2017 Core 200 (11th)

2018 Core 300 (12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

Not that you couldn't pull this off, but it is going to get complicated doing 2 cores and it is going to really push your youngest. Even Core 6 and 7 because they cover SOTW so fast (2 a year).

Here is starting with Core 3:

2008 Core 3 (2nd, 4th, 6th)

2009 Core 4 (3rd, 5th, 7th)

2010 Core 5 (4th, 6th, 8th) Add some 530 lit for 8th grader.

2011 Core 6 (5th, 7th, 9th) Add 200 Lit for 9th grader.

2012 Core 7 (6th, 8th, 10th) Add some 400 American Lit for 10th grader.

2013 Core 100 (7th, 9th, 11th) Finish 400 American Lit for 11 grader.

2014 Core 200 (8th, 10th) Core 300 (12th) 300 is more practical for college, could have them do 200, then do 300 lit with Core 100 and finish 530 lit with Core 6.

2015 Core 300 (9th, 11th) This will be tough, but might work, you would have to modify the adult lit for the 9th grader.

2016 Core 400 (10th, 12th) Again going to be tough for the 10th grader to follow along.

2017 Core 530 (11th)

2018 Repeat core of choice or other? (12th)

This is a little better, but you really can't tell if it will work or not. It is basically a bet that your youngest will be advanced and be able to just keep up with the older two. For example the reading level of the main text in Core 400 is actually 11th grade (if I remember right). It isn't that the younger student couldn't do it, but that it might be really hard for them to absorb without some more maturity. The worst that can happen is you might have to drop them into a lower core and you end up doing 2 cores like the first schedule.

Here is starting with Core 1+2 and having the oldest jump into the upper cores for High School:

2008 Core 1+2 (2nd, 4th, 6th)

2009 Core 3 (3rd, 5th, 7th)

2010 Core 4 (4th, 6th, 8th)

2011 Core 5 (5th, 7th); Core 100 (9th)

2012 Core 6 (6th, 8th); Core 200 (10th)

2013 Core 7 (7th, 9th); Core 300 (11th)

2014 Core 100 (8th, 10th) Core 400 (12th)

2015 Core 200 (9th, 11th)

2016 Core 300 (10th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

2017 Core 400 (11th)

2018 Core 530 (12th)

To me this is ideal. Yes you do 2 cores, but YOU are focused on the younger students. Your oldest begins an 2nd core only in High School and only with the levels SL designed to be used independently by students. In the mean time Core 1+2 is going to be easier on you getting used to SL. Only one child doesn't complete all the upper level programs, and that is only government, which they don't NEED a year of. Most kids only get a semester (I think a half credit). BTW I don't core 530 as something to worry about because it is just literature and writing. While it is a good program it doesn't have Bible, LA, or History, so it doesn't make my list of "must haves" for graduation, KWIM? By the way I would buy the 7Alt readers and LA to beef Core 1+2 up for your oldest. I wouldn't do the RA's, at lest not as RA's (maybe as readers if your oldest is a good reader) because you will be doing them with Core 6 and 7 later.

Though I will admit MY biggest problem with SL was the volume and pace. I could do a core in about 1.5 years not in the 36 weeks they scheduled, so that is the other reason why I suggest starting with a lighter core. If you are used to covering multiple books in a week reading aloud, then you might do fine with the pace and volume of SL and thus have no problem with starting with a high core and no problem doing 2 cores at once.

Heather

Janice,

I wouldn't do it. I would either go with Core 1+2 or with Core 3. If you look at the catalog at Landmark History of the American People you will see that it is listed as a read aloud (not reader) for grades 5 to adult. This is your co-spine (along with Story of the US which is simpler and works better for the little kids) and every year there are a ton of people with 3rd grader's who have problems with this book.

So...if I'm trying to cover a four year old, 3rd, 5th, and 6th next year and it is my first year of Sonlight, I could go down to core 1+2?? I am a bit schedule-phobic anyway and don't want to overwhelm them or myself. Am I missing something?

My will-be sixth grader is very, well, easily distracted and tends toward being a bit jumpy, BUT he loves listening to me read aloud. In fact, hearing me read aloud is about the only learning activity that he likes--outside of field trips that is.

Can you tell me, please, what core you would recommend for a newbie with kids 4-11? :bigear:

So...if I'm trying to cover a four year old, 3rd, 5th, and 6th next year and it is my first year of Sonlight, I could go down to core 1+2?? I am a bit schedule-phobic anyway and don't want to overwhelm them or myself. Am I missing something?

My will-be sixth grader is very, well, easily distracted and tends toward being a bit jumpy, BUT he loves listening to me read aloud. In fact, hearing me read aloud is about the only learning activity that he likes--outside of field trips that is.

Can you tell me, please, what core you would recommend for a newbie with kids 4-11? :bigear:

Caroline,

Sorry to drop off the face of the earth. I just lost the thread, but I finally hunted it down this evening.

You know there are a lot of SL people who do fine with the upper cores even with older kids. *I* would go on the lower side because I find it easier to supplement up (as in hand my oldest a book to read) than I find it easier to figure out what to do with a meatier core with little ones. But my little's also have NO interest in history. They are science lovers, but ask to stop history on a regular basis.

If instead of having my reader/good listener be my oldest it had been my youngest (or youngest two) then I would have had a totally different situation, and would chosen a more difficult core.

The other difference between you and the O/P is that your kids are older to begin with. Here is what the schedules would look like for your kids:

2008 Core 3+4 (3rd, 5th, 6th)

2009 Core 5 (4th, 6th, 7th)

2010 Core 6 (5th, 7th, 8th)

2011 Core 7 (6th, 8th, 9th) Add some 400 lit for the 9th grader

2012 Core 100 (7th, 9th, 10th) Add some 400 Lit for 10th grader

2013 Core 200 (8th, 10th, 11th) Add a few 530 titles for the 11th grader.

2014 Core 300 (9th, 11th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader and modify 300 lit for the 9th grader.

2015 Core 400 (10th, 12th)

2016 Core 530 (11th)

2017 Core ? (12th)

If your youngest is a good listener/reader/academic this would work really well. If they were were more kinesthetic, visual or that type of learner then you might have to drop them into a lower core.

This one isn't as clean with your kids, for me, because your oldest is starting to drop several upper cores.

2008 Core 3 (3rd, 5th, 6th)

2009 Core 4 (4th, 6th, 7th)

2010 Core 5 (5th, 7th, 8th)

2011 Core 6 (6th, 8th, 9th) Add some 200 Lit for 9th grader

2012 Core 7 (7th, 9th, 10th) Add some 200 Lit for 10th Grader

2013 Core 100 (8th, 10th, 11th) Add some 400 lit for 11th grader

2014 Core 300 (9th, 11th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

2016 Core 200 (11th)

2017 Core 530 (12th)

I have your oldest do 100 and 300 because colleges would probably prefer seeing 300 vs. 200, but you could just do 200 next. It isn't a horribly schedule, but I would be tempted to do this instead:

2008 Core 3 (3rd, 5th, 6th)

2009 Core 4 (4th, 6th, 7th)

2010 Core 6 (5th, 7th, 8th)

2011 Core 7 (6th, 8th, 9th) Add some 400 Lit for 9th grader

2012 Core 3+4 (7th); Core 100 (7th, 9th, 10th) Add some 400 Lit for 10th Grader. 7th grader should be able to do the core independently.

2013 Core 6 (8th); Core 200 (10th, 11th)

2014 Core 7 (9th); Core 300 (11th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

2015 Core 100 (10th); Core 400 (12th)

2016 Core 200 (11th)

2017 Core 300 (12th) Add a government program.

Not ideal for your youngest again though, so this time I showed how you could drop them into a lower core if needed. If you don't drop them down they end up doing the identical thing as the first schedule.

With your oldest two being only one grade level apart it doesn't make sense to separate out just your oldest, so you would instead separate out the oldest two:

2008 Core 1+2 (3rd, 5th, 6th)

2009 Core 3 (4th, 6th, 7th)

2010 Core 4 (5th, 7th, 8th)

2011 Core 5 (6th, 8th, 9th); Core 530 (9th)

2012 Core 6 (7th); Core 100 (9th, 10th)

2013 Core 7 (8th); Core 200 (10th, 11th)

2014 Core 100 (9th); Core 300 (11th, 12th) Add Government program for 12th grader.

2016 Core 200 (11th)

2017 Core 300 (12th)

In your case I just don't see a big reason to go down that road. It will be too easy right now then suddenly get a lot more difficult. To be honest in your case I think I would go with 3+4. Even if the upper level core is a stretch for your youngest you could supplement pretty easily because the gap isn't that big. For example with Core 3+4 you can use Cantering the Country, with Core 5 Galloping the Globe, with Core 6 and 7 buy the SOTW activity guides. For Core 100 Story of the US works well for younger kids, so that just leaves modifying 200 and 300. At that point if you really did need to drop them into their own core it would only be a few years of doing two before your oldest graduated and some of the pressure was off.

Blessings,

Heather

I've used Sonlight for 8 years. My 8th grader is using Core 7 this year, while my 5th and 3rd graders use Core 3; my 1st grader listens in to much of the Core 3 reading. I am one who typically finds it necessary to "beef up" the Cores and that's certainly been the case both times I've used Core 3. (My oldest used Core 3 as a 4th grader.) Core 3+4 does move faster, but it would still need a good deal of padding, as far as readers are concerned, for a competent 6th grader. It should be ideal for your 4th grader, though, and your 2nd grader can listen in to much of it. Another option, if you aren't wedded to the idea of covering American history, is to use a higher Core and direct it primarily toward your oldest.

Hope that helps; let me know if you have any questions.

So...if I'm trying to cover a four year old, 3rd, 5th, and 6th next year and it is my first year of Sonlight, I could go down to core 1+2?? Can you tell me, please, what core you would recommend for a newbie with kids 4-11? :bigear:

Hi, Caroline. I'm a long-time (8+ years) Sonlight user so I thought I'd jump in and offer my two cents. Are you hoping to use just one Core for all four of your children? If so, then I recommend going with a Core better-suited for the older students, and Core 1+2 doesn't fit the bill. If covering American history is an option, you might go with Core 3+4, as Heather suggested. Even that might require some beefing up for your older two, depending on their reading skills, but it'd allow your 3rd grader to stay fairly involved.

If you prefer to cover world history, go with Core 6. Some people stretch that and Core 7 over three, rather than two, years so you might consider that. Your 3rd grader could either listen in, or you could lightly use Core 1 alongside Core 6. Don't panic! Using the two Cores really isn't difficult since the lower Cores require so little time.

Let me know if you have questions. I love talking Sonlight.:)

Colleen,

Thank you for your reply. I've been thinking about this and I keep going back and forth (driving my husband crazy, lol).

I'm thinking about scrapping my original plan (using 3+4 with all of them) and instead using Core 1+2 with my 2nd and 4th grader and using Core 3+4 with my 6th grader. Would that work? My oldest needs exposure to American History, which is why I really want to use 3+4. Here is what I'm thinking:

2008/2009: Core 1+2 (2nd and 4th); Core 3+4 (6th)

2009/2010: Core 3 (3rd and 5th); Core 5 (7th)

2010/2011: Core 4 (4th and 6th); Alt 7 (8th)

2011/2012: Core 5 (5th and 7th); Public School for 9th Grader

2012/2013: Core 6 (6th and 8th)

2013/2014: Core 7 (7th); Public School for 9th Grader

Do you think that plan would work out ok? At some point in time I would have to add my DD in, but she's only 3 right now. I'm going to do Preschool with her next year and then DH wants to send her to kindergarten at Public School and bring her home for 1st Grade (don't ask why, it's just what we've both agreed to, lol).

I'm thinking about scrapping my original plan (using 3+4 with all of them) and instead using Core 1+2 with my 2nd and 4th grader and using Core 3+4 with my 6th grader. Would that work?

Well. It could work, yes, but I'd strongly advise you against starting Sonlight with two, unrelated Cores. Your children are young enough such that there's really no good reason to pull yourself in different directions as far as the history you're covering. There's virtually no overlap between those two Cores.

If you feel strongly about having your oldest cover American history, then go with your original plan and combined them all in Core 3+4. It's easy enough to bring in some extra reading for the 4th and 2nd graders if you're so inclined, and they'll gain a good deal from the Core itself, too.

Heather (siloam) told you previously that "every year there are a ton of people with 3rd graders who have problems with" Boorstin's Landmark history book. Yes, there are always people on the SL boards who find it too challenging for their children and look for a substitute. There are also many, many people ~ most of whom likely never share their experiences on the SL forums ~ who appreciate the book. My eldest son enjoyed it when he used Core 3 as a 4th grader. He wants to listen to it again now, as an 8th grader. My 5th and 3rd graders like it, and my 1st grader sits right there and listens when I read it.

So don't shy away from Core 3+4 might be too difficult for some of your children. It'll meet the needs of your eldest ~ although as I suggested before, I'd add more age-appropriate books since many of the readers at this level are imo quite simple for an average 6th grader. It'll also captivate your other children more often than not and allow all of you to immerse yourselves in the same history.

Just saw this and jumping in here...

I have used Sonlight from K-5th grade and we are using Core 3 with a 5th grader now. We use both the regular and advanced readers. It will be plenty for the 4th and 6th grader. The only thing I do extra now for 5th grade is get lots of extra readers from the library. And, that is only because my son loves to read and finishes the books ahead of time. The 2nd grader could pick up easy early american history readers at the library without any problem and you could adjust what you needed to for that child. I would not be able to use 2 cores in one year. There is a LOT of reading aloud. I personally would do Core 3, then 4 for American History. Core 3+4 leaves out a lot of the Core 3 books and you fly really quickly through American History. If you have a catalog in front of you (or you can look online) you can see what Core 3+4 cuts. But to be honest, I think 2 cores would be a lot of work and you'd have burnout really quickly.

Edited by sandalwood

I am using core 1+2 with my 3rd grader this year, we are using the intermediate books. She is an average reader, very wired so she doesnt sit still for too long, so it works out great for us, When she is in 4th next year we are going to use core 3 and then in 5th grade use core 4. Sonlight is pretty advanced and I like the range they put on the catalog. I find when I put my daughter right in the middle, not at the low or high end, we work out the best. I hope this helps some. God bless, nancyt.

One thing to know is that part of the history is in the readers, so your youngest will miss that unless you read the readers out loud to him. Or you could just not worry about it if he'll do US history again later on.

I definitely think it will be challenging enough for your oldest. Merry :-)

Thank you for all of the opinions and advice. I think, if I go with Sonlight (95% sure I will), that I will use Core 3 with all 3 boys and add in where I need to with my oldest or find other books for my youngest. I think it will work out fine though. Any organized plan is better than what they're getting this year. I've learned that I need things written down for me or they don't get done.

I originally considered 3+4 because I was in a hurry to get American History into my oldest son before my husband decides we have to send them back to public school. I only have 1 more year guaranteed and then who knows after that. But, I've decided to let go and not worry about it so much. History is my favorite subject, so I'd much rather slow down with it and teach the kids to enjoy it. He'll get American History again in high school, so I know he won't miss out by not cramming everything into a year.

Thanks again for all of your help.