Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW35: Ladies of Fiction - Sarah Dunant

Robin M

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Yay!

I own books seven and up in the series, and I see that they are lending enabled. I'd be happy to lend them to you, mumto2.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you!  Such a generous offer......looking forward to reading the rest.  Also I had no idea a new one was coming out this week!

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some free books for Kindle readers ~

Remedial Rocket Science: A Romantic Comedy (Chemistry Lessons Book 1) by Susannah Nix 

I read and enjoyed this series last year.  They were all quite good.  @Robin Mand @Kareni both of you will enjoy this one!  I just “bought” it to add to my stack of enjoyable rereads.

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Shadows in Death will be out on the 8th. Woot Woot.  Teasers from Nora Roberts

Yes.....woot!

• Like 2

I finished Chaos Reigning https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45449470-chaos-reigning late last night and really enjoyed it.  I have decided that the Consortium Rebellion is one of my favorite Space Opera’s.  Not as good as The Linesman but still really good.  @Kareni have you read these?

I am still happily reading my books with service dogs and am reading a really good one currently  called Killing Trail https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52844572-killing-trail. I am pretty sure @Pen recommended this one......thank you!  My library has several more on Overdrive.

I spent most of my day listening to Ready Player One and trying to finish another quilt off.  It’s huge.....largish queen size and is taking a really long time.  I have a couple more audiobooks ready to go if needed including River of Teeth https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52844572-killing-trail which sounds potentially entertaining.  Feral hippo’s in an alternative 1890’s Mississippi River western.......it will either be great or horrible.  It was on a recent list btw.😉 which is how I found it.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

...Remedial Rocket Science: A Romantic Comedy (Chemistry Lessons Book 1) by Susannah Nix...

I read and enjoyed this series last year.  They were all quite good.  @Robin Mand @Kareni both of you will enjoy this one!  I just “bought” it to add to my stack of enjoyable rereads.

I read the first book in 2018 and found it a pleasant read. I didn't read on in the series; I may need to give it another try.

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I finished Chaos Reigning https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45449470-chaos-reigning late last night and really enjoyed it.  I have decided that the Consortium Rebellion is one of my favorite Space Opera’s.  Not as good as The Linesman but still really good.  @Kareni have you read these?

I am still happily reading my books with service dogs and am reading a really good one currently  called Killing Trail https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52844572-killing-trail. I am pretty sure @Pen recommended this one......thank you!  My library has several more on Overdrive.

I read the first Consortium Rebellion book in November but have yet to read on. One day....

Killing Trail sounds good; I've downloaded a sample to see what I think.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I was thinking about the passage in Old Man and the Sea where Hemingway talks about the different uses of "mar" in Spanish -- whether the word is masculine or feminine.

The thing that really struck me about that passage is that Hemingway must have been more integrated into Cuban life than I'd assumed. I spent a year in Chile as a student, and the explanation that Hemingway gives about the gender is pretty much exactly the explanation I got from people I asked. I got similarly flowery explanations about the Spanish language from people everywhere I went that year and from people at all levels of education (it was wonderful). So Hemingway, I assume, asked around and was fed this mar/mar thing by people in Havana.

Really, it seems like "mar" is masculine when you're just using it in an ordinary way and it becomes feminine both in poetry and in technical language. The "high seas" are also feminine, so again, a more unusual usage. There are lots of other gender-ambiguous nouns in Spanish. Sugar, water, and other words that start with "a" are given the masculine article just to make pronunciation easier; I think some nouns also change gender depending on which country you're in, and I wonder whether that happens to any French nouns outside of France, now that i'm thinking of it. It is one of those endlessly interesting things that I wish I knew more about! I am loving this Book a Week thread.. thanks to all of you for making me think about these things 🙂

• Like 5