Menu

Educational Online “Busywork”

MomOfABunch

My 6 yo has to be in daycare for the time being.  I’m looking for online “busywork” for him to do because all the other kids will be logging in for their online classes and I don’t want him to feel left out. He does his actual schoolwork with me when we’re at home, so I really am just looking for something he can do online, independently for a couple hours to keep him busy. I was going to go with Time4Learning. Is there something better and/or cheaper than T4L for this purpose? Thanks!

So, I used Time4Learning with my oldest as a sort of independent work station when I was working with my youngest when they were about six.  They were working ahead of grade level, so I set second grade as the default grade.  They still had access to the first grade curriculum, as well, because of that.  I actually super loved the fluency exercises in the second grade language arts, and it was fantastic review and also covered some traditional early elementary social studies that we didn't really cover because we were doing Story of the World.  I actually really liked it as a fun review supplement for about 30 minutes a day.  

I always point out that ABC Mouse and Adventure Academy are both run by a company that gives heavily to Scientology. They're one of Scientology's largest donors these days. In case that matters to you. There is no Scientology content in the software, I just don't like enabling the cult.

I second the idea that apps like Dragonbox are the best quality options overall.

I would do Time 4 Learning if you can't organize a bunch of individual apps though. I don't think it's great, but it's not the worst thing ever.

Starfall - I highly highly recommend this. It is wonderful, from learning basic letters to reading books to kids, includes math as well, K-2 levels.

Dragonbox - DB Numbers especially

Khan if he can manage basic reading to navigate. Khan kids app on ipad if not.

Preloaded Magic School Bus videos if you have a way to do this.