Menu

LOR choices

skimomma

Want to have some fun sorting out a good problem?  We have too many LOR writer candidates and have the luxury of trying to sort out which would be the best.

Dd is in 12th grade and is 95% confident on her college choice.  There is no question that she will be admitted and will qualify for some merit aid assuming she is EVER able to take the ACT or SAT.  There is a full scholarship opportunity that we think she has a decent shot at.  The selection criteria are GPA, an essay, and one LOR.  Seeing as they only submit a single LOR, dd wants to ask the very best choice to submit it.  Dd has 3 main areas that we would expect the letter to draw from: music, sport, and academics.  Assume all are very familiar with and likely to speak on dd's personality and work ethic in a positive light.  Assuming all of these options are reliable and likely to write a complete and well-written letter, which is likely to have the most positive impact:

1.  Long time music teacher who has known dd personally outside of teaching most of her life.  She is faculty at the college.  She is also familiar with dd as an athlete and is quite knowledgable about dd's education.  She can speak on dd as a musician, athlete, and scholar.  

2.  Dd's current employer who also happens to be a bandmate and adopted "grandfather."  He is emeritus faculty at the college in the area of study dd is interested in pursuing.  He is hands down dd's biggest cheerleader.  He can speak on dd as a musician and scholar.  

3.  Another band mate who is similar to #2 except he is a researcher at a local company and has no connection to the college.  He can speak on dd as a musician.  

4.  Yet another band mate, similar to #2 and #3 but is current faculty at the college and has also coached/followed dd in her sport.  He can speak on dd as a musician, athlete, and scholar.  

5.  A long time family friend who has been involved in dd's music management and can speak in-depth to dd as a scholar.  He knows nothing about her sport.  He is faculty at the college but is also "controversial" as a faculty member.  He is likely to craft the most well-written and entertaining letter.  He can speak on dd as a musician and scholar.  

6.  Another family friend that has been very musically involved with dd.  Of all, he probably knows the most about dd academically.  He is also faculty at the college and is very well known and regarded.  He can speak on dd as a musician and scholar.  

On paper, #3 is the weakest but also the only viable option not directly connected to the college.  That is our biggest question.  Is it good, bad, or neutral to have a LOR come from faculty at the college in question?  If that is generally frowned upon, #3 will be our lucky winner by default.

After that, it seems like the remaining 5 are pretty equal and we would just be sorting out by other potential subjective factors.  For instance, #5 will for sure write the most entertaining and memorable letter.  It will for sure stand out.  It is unlikely that anyone on the selection committee will be aware of his controversy on campus but there is no way to know that for sure.  #1 is a LOR writing professional.  #6's reputation on campus is stunning but again, the committee members may not be aware of that.  #2's letter might sound like someone writing about their favorite grandkid.  #4 can go the most in-depth about dd's sport which is a VERY big part of her life but is also likely going to write with most bland letter.  

Thoughts?

I'd probably go with #1. I would think someone connected to the college is a positive so wouldn't lean toward #3. I would assume her academics will speak for themselves so someone who can communicate the whole package would be best. If she writes LORs a lot, she should do a good job, right?  

• Like 1

My ds is heavily involved in 4-H. He is applying to the state flagship which is home to the 4-H program and is having his recommendation written by the 4-H director there he has worked with. So his recommendation is coming from an email address associated with the university he is applying to. We never thought of it as a negative. The recommender is well known at the university and honestly has probably written many letters for there and is familiar with the setup. I only thought of it as a positive. 

He has another LOR coming from the local private U he has done de at and I figured that would hold less weight as the big state U probably looks down a bit on the private U. You never know how the readers will respond. I say just go with the one you think will write the best letter and not stress you out worrying if they will actually complete it. 

• Like 2