Menu

Inspiration for homeschool spaces for teens?

lapdesks or rolling tables for laptops, a bookcase with a shelf for each kid's materials and planner, and a bean bag chair (or more) as needed. I would leave the rest of up to them...maybe each could choose a poster for the wall? I have to tell you, though, my teen does all her work in her room, thank you very much. She's that way even without the virus.

• Like 1

https://www.extraspace.com/blog/home-organization/room-organization/shared-office-ideas/

https://topshelfdiy.com/his-and-hers-farmhouse-office-makeover-weeks-1-2/  This one, I think, has space for four people if you put additional chairs into the T shape. 

My favorite thing, that I haven't seen, is a 4x4 Kallax anchored against a wall with all of the books and materials in the 4x4, a printer on top, and cork pinboards on the wall above the Kallax.  A kitchen table is perpendicular and adjacent to the Kallax, forming a T shape.  

I have six people needing desk space here.  While dh has an expensive standing desk on order, oldest is working on a folding table plopped into the middle of the boys' shared bedroom. It doesn't need to be elegant.  What I do recommend is splurging on noise canceling bluetooth headphones and laptops. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

lapdesks or rolling tables for laptops, a bookcase with a shelf for each kid's materials and planner, and a bean bag chair (or more) as needed. I would leave the rest of up to them...maybe each could choose a poster for the wall? I have to tell you, though, my teen does all her work in her room, thank you very much. She's that way even without the virus.

that’s my 13 year old too. I bought him a $7 desk lamp and called it complete for the year.

i think it’s mostly the books and curricula. We do still have a robust supply of art materials too. I have a couple of ikea carts and a built in cabinet that I can use.

I’ve been looking for bean bag chairs but it seems they are a hot covid quar item. I may splurge and get a couple PB teen ones. 

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.extraspace.com/blog/home-organization/room-organization/shared-office-ideas/

https://topshelfdiy.com/his-and-hers-farmhouse-office-makeover-weeks-1-2/  This one, I think, has space for four people if you put additional chairs into the T shape. 

My favorite thing, that I haven't seen, is a 4x4 Kallax anchored against a wall with all of the books and materials in the 4x4, a printer on top, and cork pinboards on the wall above the Kallax.  A kitchen table is perpendicular and adjacent to the Kallax, forming a T shape.  

I have six people needing desk space here.  While dh has an expensive standing desk on order, oldest is working on a folding table plopped into the middle of the boys' shared bedroom. It doesn't need to be elegant.  What I do recommend is splurging on noise canceling bluetooth headphones and laptops. 🙂

we have 5 needing desks plus an art table. 

We need another laptop for sure. I wish we had a space for the Kallax set up but we don’t have a dedicated school room. 
thanks for the advice! Off to look at bean bags headphones and laptops

We have a place for school stuff, but my teen prefers to work alone in his room most of the time.  He'll come to wherever I am or I'll pop in when there's work that we need to to together (discussion, etc).  He doesn't prefer a desk, so he has a 2-cubby shelf and a big sturdy woven bucket under his bed that also holds materials and he usually sprawls on the floor.  My younger, a tween, works in the school area most of the time but I have to be right there.  She sits at a desk to do written work and then goes to a beanbag or bed to read.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The PB Teen reviews are really mixed. We had looked at those too. I bought a Big Joe brand one instead for $35....reviews seemed similar but price points were very different. I am looking at Love Sac now trying to decide what to do. (We need a second one.)

My kids' teacher had the big Joe ones at school and they loved them. 

If I had 3 kids and a small but not tiny space, I would put a comfy chair and reading lamp in three corners.  I'd either have a table in the center and bookshelves along the walls or work stations along the walls (and I would have them as part of built-in bookshelves), depending on space.