Menu

i was about to start using my new planner...

and then i realized i cant write! i sorta double strained/sprained my hand/wrist oops. fingers an down forearm.

hows your planning going? were focued on multiplication right now, doing only that. its goimg well. got some new flashcards to set us up for short division

got another STEM set on hydraulics from Lakeshore

He now considers dishwasher duty easy,so thats an accomplishment.

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Hope your wrist is feeling a little better this morning! 

yup its coming along nicely! it just hurts if i have he brace off for ice and forget and do things. its clearly mending

19 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

this year they had a binder version of the teacher planner,

oooo! ijust bought a $2.50 spiralat walmart haha. i love binders off to look :biggrin:

I get overwhelmed by planning so I do it in kind of a sideways manner. I pick one topic, think about it for a day or two and then sit down and plan it out for one grade. Just before I put it away I glanced over what i subjects are left and then ignore all of it until I feel inspired to do another one. As we get closer to starting I update the weekly schedule and then make sure that I have planned everything I need to plan and actually ordered all the books I intend to use. Sometimes with this planning "method" I think about a resource so much that it feels like I must already have it. Oops.

Next week will be the week for making sure it is all finalized. We're going to start the first full week of August.

I love planners all the best options, pretty covers, but I'm a complete failure at sucking with them. It is weird. Maybe when the kids are gone and I'm just planning for myself. 😆

Bummer about your wrist! Hopefully it heals soon.

This is timely. I just ordered a ridiculously expensive planner and matching notebook to use as a scrapbook from Plum Paper. It was a gift to myself for being thrown back into homeschooling all three kids. 

I've been fiddling with my trello boards, I do big picture planning on trello and then weekly planning in a planner. I decided we will do math and language arts daily and then unit studies for the rest, I like planning the unit studies in trello so I can save all the links on my cards.

I'm a planner geek

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

Bummer about your wrist! Hopefully it heals soon.

thsnks

29 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

I've been fiddling with my trello boards, I do big picture planning on trello and then weekly planning in a planner. I decided we will do math and language arts daily and then unit studies for the rest, I like planning the unit studies in trello so I can save all the links on my cards.

i must look at this!

30 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

I just ordered a ridiculously expensive planner and matching notebook to use as a scrapbook from Plum Paper. It was a gift to myself for being thrown back into homeschooling all three kids. 

yes!

31 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

I decided we will do math and language arts daily and then unit studies for the rest, I like planning the unit studies

thats what gets me is all the components. My brain is dropping things these days so i need everyhing in one place

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterPan said:

thats what gets me is all the components. My brain is dropping things these days so i need everyhing in one place

You would love trello! There's a FB group for homeschoolers that use it and lots of videos on YouTube. I just use the free version, I think most homeschoolers do as well.

This is my new favorite video and sort of how I decided to do my boards this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

You would love trello! There's a FB group for homeschoolers that use it and lots of videos on YouTube. I just use the free version, I think most homeschoolers do as well.

This is my new favorite video and sort of how I decided to do my boards this year.

Ooo thanks! So I'm looking at this, and it looks like it could function like a stepped up version of what I do with pinterest right now. It's just that pinterest, within the pinned board, is completely disorganized, and this could be more organized. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo thanks! So I'm looking at this, and it looks like it could function like a stepped up version of what I do with pinterest right now. It's just that pinterest, within the pinned board, is completely disorganized, and this could be more organized. 

Yes! This is why I like it. I love Pinterest but my brain can't process it once I actually need to make plans. It's overly stimulating. I haven't done this yet, but my plan is to transfer pins onto each of my unit study lists. 

2 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

Yes! This is why I like it. I love Pinterest but my brain can't process it once I actually need to make plans. It's overly stimulating. I haven't done this yet, but my plan is to transfer pins onto each of my unit study lists. 

So do they have a conversion? Cuz thats what I was noticing, as I watched the long video. There seemed to be a lot of just getting lost in data entry, lol. I'm all about the drag and drop, stupid simple. Even her method of adding jpgs was idiotic. If you can't drag the image from the source WHY BOTHER??? Who wants to do 13 steps like that??? Drag and drop and autofill info, not typing, mercy.

So it has potential, but there has to be a way to skip so much time wasted on data entry.

• Like 1

Oh yeah there’s definitely data entry. It’s not like homeschool planet or panda or whatever it’s called where you can choose a curriculum from a data base.

i don’t get as detailed as her, I don’t see the need. Some people even add their curriculum to trello broken up into cards. That’s not the life I want to live 😆

ETA: For pins, I just right click to save the pic and then upload it as the cover. Then just put the link to the actual website (not the pin) in the card. No typing. 

It can be tedious. I find it to get to a mindless/meditative sort of spot and it's a nice escape when it's not late enough for a glass of wine.  (Although last night I entered all of DS HSA classes WHILE drinking a glass of wine. It was Saturday night and I was really letting loose)

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

yeah there’s definitely data entry.

Whoa, I just logged in and started playing with it. You realize I could DUMP all the clutter that is in my brain?? LOL  I mean, it's no wonder I get tired and live on the fritz. I can download as checklists all the CONCEPTS I'm working on. So things that aren't structured, I could throw into this.

I don't know, it definitely has potential. It's what I was going to sit there and do with paper because I've been going out of my skull with all these pieces. So at least it wouldn't be stupid typing but actually just freeing my brain. Oh my.

Ok, so I'll fess up. The reason I'm being reluctant is because I don't do wifi. But if I quietly stole my dh's ipad downstairs, the really giant one that has *cell* hehe, then I could turn that on and sync baby sync and have all my stuff in front of me the whole time. He'd die. He's uber precious about his tech. And I could do it on my phone. But this would be sweet on an ipad pro. I suddenly need an ipad pro.

Thanks, so now my $2.50 notebook needs to be replaced by an ipad pro and Trello. :biggrin:  (ps. I think I could find workarounds, must think, cuz this has potential)

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Whoa, I just logged in and started playing with it. You realize I could DUMP all the clutter that is in my brain?? LOL  I mean, it's no wonder I get tired and live on the fritz. I can download as checklists all the CONCEPTS I'm working on. So things that aren't structured, I could throw into this.

I don't know, it definitely has potential. It's what I was going to sit there and do with paper because I've been going out of my skull with all these pieces. So at least it wouldn't be stupid typing but actually just freeing my brain. Oh my.

Ok, so I'll fess up. The reason I'm being reluctant is because I don't do wifi. But if I quietly stole my dh's ipad downstairs, the really giant one that has *cell* hehe, then I could turn that on and sync baby sync and have all my stuff in front of me the whole time. He'd die. He's uber precious about his tech. And I could do it on my phone. But this would be sweet on an ipad pro. I suddenly need an ipad pro.

Thanks, so now my $2.50 notebook needs to be replaced by an ipad pro and Trello. :biggrin:  (ps. I think I could find workarounds, must think, cuz this has potential)

haha! Now I'm spending your money! lololololol

• Haha 1

I put all my stuff on Trello this year. My daily calendar is on there. I just type each day as a list at the beginning of each month, so not very sophisticated, but it gives me a place to quickly place everything. I planned our church reopening on a shared board, set up a board for another longer-term church project, and our youth group is using Trello as a message board. They chat in the comments section of the cards. It's very versatile! I love how easy it is to move stuff around.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, Runningmom80 said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have so many pdfs and things all over the place, I really think this will help streamline my mornings. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

Also, my PP planner and notebook are here and they are glorious!

Remind me, what's the PP planner?

I'm working on Trello. I *think I'm getting it. It's just the more I put in the more unrealistic my ideas seemed, lol. Of course that's wh I write things out. lol

4 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

Update: You can drag and drop to Trello from YouTube, TedEd and Epic! There are probably more but that's what I've figured out so far.

Yes! But you know what I haven't figured out? @wendyroo said she makes a trello for her ds to use as his checklist. So is it like onenote where it syncs across devices? Is it the free account or a paid version with mult[ile boards? Or ONLY that ds' work is in it?

You can make a board for your son and then invite him to join it. Then you both have equal access to that one board. I think he can do just about everything but close it. I have not ever used paid access to Trello. When you invite your son, you will likely get a one month free trial when he joins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Yes! But you know what I haven't figured out? @wendyroo said she makes a trello for her ds to use as his checklist. So is it like onenote where it syncs across devices? Is it the free account or a paid version with mult[ile boards? Or ONLY that ds' work is in it?

On the Trello home page you can create a team.  I made a team of myself, my husband and my son.  Then up at the top of your Trello board you can change the visibility: private, team, or public.  I always have a couple "template" boards that I keep private - I don't want anyone messing with them.  Then each week I make a copy of the correct template, rename it with the current date, and make it visible to the team.  That way DS has access to add cards, mark them as done, comment with questions for me, etc.  Also my husband has access to add chores for DS and to check his progress when DS asks for breaks or privileges.  It keeps us all on the same page.

We just use the free Trello account.  A couple of times we have hit our limit of open boards (10), but I just close a few older ones.  Even when they are closed they are not gone, just not accessible from the homes page unless you re-open them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Hey @wendyroo while we're at it, do you do anything brillaint for photos? I'm trying to come back to the 21st century...

In what way?  Organizing photos?  Importing photos?  Clearing out the 200 photos of a LEGO mini fig that mysteriously appear on my phone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wendyroo said:

In what way?  Organizing photos?  Importing photos?  Clearing out the 200 photos of a LEGO mini fig that mysteriously appear on my phone?

Oh man this is so totally us, lol. Yes, I have iphone pics that I do zero with. Yes to culling the pictures. 

I'm having a brain blip on how they neatly get rom my phone into something visible like a photobook. I've done books with Blurb but that's too $$ for casual iphone snaps. I was thinking more Shutterfly/Snapfish type prices. Amazon photos doesn't seem to upload directly to any except for a really basic 8X8, no frills. Google has privacy issues and limits image size, meaning I couldn't necessarily bring over all photos, but it plays nicely with all book/product vendors. Both amazon and google have face recognition and will auto sort for themes. Im not sure Flickr does any of that,though ot does playnicely with vendors.

What am I missing? LOL

I can check if LR mbile uploads to shutterfly, dunno.

I tried uploading images from my now aging desktop imac and it almost overheated. 

There has to be an obviuos, simple solution here... Have you figured it out?

3 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

For phone pics I like chat books! I make them through Instagram but I believe you can just upload them directly from your phone

Funny question, if you're doing instagram, do you shoot everything square? I've been noticing a lot o these casual books are square and thinking I could convert...

3 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

For phone pics I like chat books! I make them through Instagram but I believe you can just upload them directly from your phone

Whoa, hold on. Are you saying you upload your cuteness and they automatically print books when yo hit 60? 

If you do that, do the books have text? Do they import text from your instagram entry? Honestly I never even looked into Instagram. Like I said, tech shot by me, lol.

Ok, it says if you do the auto book at 60 you can edit/review before it publishes. So is that where you add text?

And @Runningmom80 you go with the 6X6 or 8X8? hard or softcover? I'm thinking 6X6 hardcover.

It also says you can upload from FB or Instagram, hmm. I think I needto look into instagram.

I'm kinda crazy for this idea that I upload just my favs in the moment and eventually the book just makes itself. That's where I'm at,lol. Auto solve my problem. :biggrin: It's ust too much to decide the same things many time. So one and done is perfect.

So problem. I have 12,000+ pics on my phone. Some are obviously junky orrepeats asm I haven't been culling AT ALL. But if I call and upload to instagram, do I start at the beginning of the pile or the end? Is there a way to specify what folder or whatever in instagram it's using so that I could have say a 2017 pics folder and a 2020 and add parallel and build books parallel but not mix?

Sorry, I'm flooding you here. I was looking for how you organize instagram (folders, tags, I don't know), and was looking at the Preview app. It also ha filters, 2 in the free version and lots in the paid. Do you fiddle with this? I had started with VSCO but I think I got waylaid by all the driving and stuff for ds, because it just sat there. What do you do? Or do I not want to know? LOL

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1