Menu

S/o lip swelling

Heatherwith4

One side of my top lip has become swollen a few times in the last couple months.  No other symptoms.  I don’t know of anything I ate that would cause it.  I took an allergy pill the last time it happened, just in case.  What would y’all do?  Mention it to the dr at my next checkup? 

Obviously today I’d say go to the ER, lol, but if it’s not too swollen I’d probably continue to take a Benadryl and watch for other symptoms. Definitely mention it to your doctor. Can you make a telehealth appointment? If it’s an allergic reaction, it could be worse next time so I want it on the doctor's radar. 

In the meantime, are you able to list foods you’ve eaten on the days you’ve had that happen in case there’s a pattern? I think I would consider allergen testing, and having a list already going might give you a good start in identifying possibilities.

Edited by MEmama
  • Thanks 1

What is concerning about this to me is that if it’s a food allergy, those tend to get very much worse very quickly, and the jump from a lip to your throat being what swells up is not all that far.  That being so, I would keep a very detailed food and contact journal for a while, and also keep benedryl and an epi pen on hand at all times.  Be aware that some food allergies are related to each other.  For instance, I’m allergic to kiwi, and so I am careful with strawberries—they don’t bother me but I know that they could.  Also, I really REALLY don’t want to get allergic to crab so I take an Allegra before eating it, every time, just in case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  

It is big enough to be noticeable, but not as big as MEmama’s DS.  So idk if it’s a weird food allergy that is beginning to show up or what.  

I will start listing what I eat.  We do already have an epipen in the house because of my son’s wasp allergy, so that’s good.  I’ll let my doctor know.  And if it swells again, I will probably just go ahead and call her.  

• Thanks 1