Menu

Science from a Christian Perspective

mom31257

Could anyone tell me what science resources are out there that are from a Christian perspective? We have been using SOS for science only with my 6th grade dd. We are having a lot of problems with the program. It may actually be problems with the computer, but we're trying to find out. I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on a whole new program for the year, so I thought about just doing unit studies, but we do want science taught from a biblical perspective. I am willing to spend some, say up to $30 or so.

Thanks so much!

We have used the following with varying ages:

Apologia (as another poster said... my favorite)

Considering God's Creation (for the dc that love to cut &paste)

Bob Jones (good for a traditional approach)

A Beka (a bit dry for my taste)

We haven't used, but I have been drawn to:

Christian Kids Explore... series from Bright Ideas

I'm pretty sure you can view samples of them all (with the exception of A Beka) at cbd.com

:)

Edited by angela&4boys

We're using Apologia Exploring Creation with Botany. There are several other titles under the Exploring Creation with... series. The books are full color with great photos, lots of projects, latin root word explanations for the scientific terms, notebook page assignments, and many other excellent "classical" elements. I highly recommend this series.

I just received the God's Design for Chemistry: Properties of Atoms and Molecules. After reading it cover to cover, I'm sold on it! We will begin this in January then follow up with Properties of Matter. It is God honoring and quite thorough.

We also have almost completed Considering God's Creation-in fact we will be done with it this month. It took us quite a while to get through it but we've enjoyed it as well.

I've got some questions about the Apologia books as well as the God's Design series. These books are by topic. Are they meant to be done in a manner that you are studying one branch of science all year?

I have been trying to decide what I wanted to use for science for middle school, then high school. I taught Apologia (first editions) Biology and Chemistry a few years ago in a co-op setting. I guess I liked them, but I really felt that they were perhaps too easy for a high school course of study, especially the biology.

If I used Apologia, she'd have General Science next year and Physical the next. Should I try to cover more life and earth science this year? If I were to use Bob Jones, she'd have life science next year, Earth and space science for 8th, then Physical in 9th. If I think that is best, then should I do more chemistry type science this year? It's getting closer and closer to the years that "really count", and I don't want to mess her up.

Our dd doesn't seem as of right now that she will probably pursue any science or math related field because she is so geared toward language, reading, and history. I do want to prepare her well for entrance exams and whatever God may call her to do. Thanks for all the help!

I'm curious why you think Apologia Biology and chemistry are too easy for HS? I've heard this from another mom, too, but she couldn't explain why she felt that way. My husband, who is a chemist, loves Apologia. He thinks that Dr. Wile has done a great job of making science understandable for the student. We also have a few friends whose children have taken the Biology CLEP test and passed only using the Apologia books to study.

All that being said, I would evaluate your goals for science. Do you have a science-oriented student who plans to study science in the future. (you may not know yet). We took the stand that our kids would be exposed to science as if they did decide to study engineering or science, they would be prepared. (so far, we have no scientists in the making!) Where is your student in terms of math? Dr. Wile says that when your student begins Algebra 1, they can begin Biology. This may also affect your decisions. Sorry for the long-winded response. Hope some of this helps.

Maria in TX