Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
EmilyGF

Great Lakes / Freshwater Ecology

Hi everyone,

I'm working on planning an early-high school Great Lakes / Freshwater Ecology class for my daughter dd13 that we'll incorporate two of her friends into.

I was trying to find a science topic for which we could do labs but that wouldn't be lame if we ended up sheltering-in-place again. If COVID hadn't happened, we'd be doing chemistry. But I have no desire to teach chemistry without the labs - that's what makes me happy. Because of that, I'd like to incorporate some chemistry labs and have thought about water-quality focused labs. Each of us lives within walking distance of at least one pond, so I've thought of monitoring various aspects of the pond over the year.

So far, I'm planning on using Pond and Brook and I've put a number of books on the Great Lakes on hold at my library. I'm looking into some dunes books, too.

Any great freshwater ecology or Great Lakes books you have liked? Labs that might work well with our focus? Thanks for the help.

Emily

No resources to recommend, but I wonder if you'd find some more ideas if you looked at websites for limnology programs at universities in the Great Lakes area.  

• Like 1

You should check what your local 4-H may have available as well.   They are through the Agricultural Cooperative and a lot of states have free activity guides on various topics of local interest.