Menu

traveling through New York State

saraha

We are contemplating taking a trip to New Hampshire we booked last year. Originally we planned to stop overnight in Buffalo to break up the trip. I don't know if it is my sleep deprived brain or what but I can't find something that clearly tells me what the hotel situation might be like around the July 4 holiday. If anyone can give me a head's up, I would appreciate it. And any advice also about this area (including if we need to scrap this idea)

Thanks!

6 hours ago, saraha said:

We are contemplating taking a trip to New Hampshire we booked last year. Originally we planned to stop overnight in Buffalo to break up the trip. I don't know if it is my sleep deprived brain or what but I can't find something that clearly tells me what the hotel situation might be like around the July 4 holiday. If anyone can give me a head's up, I would appreciate it. And any advice also about this area (including if we need to scrap this idea)

Thanks!

I don't know what the situation is - but the view is far better from the canadian side.   the borders have been closed to 'tourists'.  it's open for truckers delivering goods.  the viewing platform just doesn't give a very good view.

you'd really need to check  for what's open, including the border.  (you can walk across the bridge.  be sure and bring a quarter per person for the turnstile.)

I'd probably scrap it.

• Like 1

NY requires masks so bring a mask.  Indoor seating at restaurants is available in phase 3.  Buffalo is in phase 3 and could enter phase 4 prior to your arrival.  Hotels are open, but not all onsite amenities may be available.  Pools for instance are phase 4.  

Maid of the Mist will restart on June 26.  

• Like 1

I live in a Buffalo suburb.  Are you just planning to spend the night in a hotel, or looking for things to do in the area?   

Either way, to travel through NY you’re required to wear masks in all situations where you cannot stay 6ft distanced.  People in Buffalo are taking it seriously.  Even drive thrus have signs reminding you to mask since you’re closer than 6ft to pay and get your food.  A lot of fun stuff has been canceled for the season, so the hotels should have plenty of room!  

• Like 1

Oh, and we had our first wave right after NYC did, and with everyone complying with mask laws and distancing we’ve managed to keep cases from climbing.  The whole Western New York region, which includes Buffalo, currently lists only 52 Covid patients hospitalized. I feel safer here than I would in many, many areas of the country right now! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Jessica* said:

I live in a Buffalo suburb.  Are you just planning to spend the night in a hotel, or looking for things to do in the area?   

Originally, we had planned to extend the vacation and spend time in Buffalo, but were unsure now. For definite we were hoping to at least use it as a half way point and stay the night and potentially keep going the next day. I had tried looking at various New York travel pages but was unable to connect the dots, and so much of it was about NYC which we were not planning to go to.

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

Originally, we had planned to extend the vacation and spend time in Buffalo, but were unsure now. For definite we were hoping to at least use it as a half way point and stay the night and potentially keep going the next day. I had tried looking at various New York travel pages but was unable to connect the dots, and so much of it was about NYC which we were not planning to go to.

You can check the dates for fireworks over the falls. Totally amazing. 

As long as you plan on doing outdoor stuff, you'll probably be fine. Obviously check each thing. I'm just saying the bit of traveling we've done, that's what we did, just planning outdoor things. 

The US side of the falls is amazing. I get people are saying the canadian side is better, but when we went we just did the american and it was WONDERFUL. Totally worth the effort.

• Like 1