Menu

Cat people: stress and avoiding food

Acorn

I posted earlier about my kitten search. We found one who has been quarantined one week in a bedroom. He got an eye infection and assumed URI just after arrival, looks great now. Our resident cat has been ignoring the situation and no longer goes into the hallway near the quarantine bedroom. Yesterday she barely ate, eventually a few bites of chicken and some bites of dry food. So far today she turned away from her usual canned food and dry food. I offered her some of the kitten can food, and she ate 1/3 of small can but left food in the dish.  She hates her carrier, car rides and typically hides at least a day after a vet trip. She did have normal checkup in beginning of March. I feel that a vet trip would stress her more and am looking for more ideas to try at home today since she did at least eat tiny amount. I read about Feliway online. Is that worth a try?

It’s the original cat who is stressed? Do you think it’s because of the kitten? Even if they can’t see each other, original cat definitely knows she’s there and is monitoring the situation, even if she seems to be ignoring it.

When will they be able to meet? A week seems like a long time to have the disruption without resolution (meeting and letting them figure it out). I hope the kitten is healed and can be let into the rest of the house soon.

No advice on original cat not eating; hopefully the opportunity to meet the kitten (and watching hungry kitten devour food) will resolve the problem. Our original cat ate more ravenously after we introduced the kitten, like they were having a contest. Both eased off when kitten got over her food insecurity and meal time didn’t have to be so frantic. 
The syringe of broth and chicken baby food suggestions are going into my toolbox in case we ever need them.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

Try chicken baby food. 

Are you still quarantining the kitten for health reasons?

Yes new kitten is still quarantined. The vet said at least a week, so at least two more days.  I had hoped to exchange some of their blanket/toys with each other but haven’t yet because of germs.

I will try some chicken baby food.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Yes new kitten is still quarantined. The vet said at least a week, so at least two more days.  I had hoped to exchange some of their blanket/toys with each other but haven’t yet because of germs.

I will try some chicken baby food.

You might want to try this suggestion of rubbing vanilla on both cats so they smell the same. (read through the thread).

https://thecatsite.com/threads/what-is-the-vanilla-extract-perfume-trick.24962/

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Resident cat ate kibble during the night last night and had normal canned food serving this morning. I'm relieved. My oldest child had a much easier time with a sibling's birth than this cat is having so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1