Menu

Help me plan a .5 Health credit for summer

dd agreed to do Health over the summer. At first I was going to throw something "just get it done" at her, but my niece and two nephews also want to do it (all of them are rising 10th graders) so I thought I could put something a bit more useful and engaging for them especially since it is summer. I had looked at the Trim Healthy Mama curriculum because high school was supposed to be released but that's not happening now.  

What are the "must" topics to cover? Helpful resources?

The only for sure thing is I have them all signed up for an all day Heart Saver/AED/CPR/First Aid in person course with our county. They will receive certification for those. 

What else?

ETA: My dd is very interested in the human body and wants to go into Physical Therapy so I definitely want to include some kind of solid component here. 

Edited by ByGrace3

We did the Human Anatomy chapters in Holt Biology, a research paper on vaccines and when we are able, a CPR refresher. However, a couple of providers use the Holt Biology anatomy chapters as... anatomy. I may change my transcript if dd doesn't do a different anatomy course.

Some of my IRL friends used the new Exploring Creation Health text. I look through it and like it, even though I would generally not use a Christian science text.

Health is one of those classes that I try to be a bit more imaginative about than other classes. I have my dds read an appropriate personal health/sex ed type book, they plant a garden and look after it and then cook some healthy meals, they do CPR certification, and I also have them read some nutritional stuff like "In Defense of Food." I put it down on their transcript as PE/Health and include the exercise angle as part of PE.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, TCB said:

Health is one of those classes that I try to be a bit more imaginative about than other classes. I have my dds read an appropriate personal health/sex ed type book, they plant a garden and look after it and then cook some healthy meals, they do CPR certification, and I also have them read some nutritional stuff like "In Defense of Food." I put it down on their transcript as PE/Health and include the exercise angle as part of PE.

This is what I was thinking. I didn't want it to be a drag. So, I signed her up for first Aid/CPR training and a 4 week class "Nutrition for sports and Fitness" on Outschool, and ordered the book Kinesiology for Dummies. I'm still open to suggestions though! Especially out of the box ideas! 

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

This is what I was thinking. I didn't want it to be a drag. So, I signed her up for first Aid/CPR training and a 4 week class "Nutrition for sports and Nutrition" on Outschool, and ordered the book Kinesiology for Dummies. I'm still open to suggestions though! Especially out of the box ideas! 

Those sound good. I do think being able to grow your own food is a useful skill but maybe you do that anyway. I had my dad choose the things she wanted to grow and research the best way to grow those particular things.

Just now, TCB said:

Those sound good. I do think being able to grow your own food is a useful skill but maybe you do that anyway. I had my dad choose the things she wanted to grow and research the best way to grow those particular things.

We do have a pretty substantial garden and the kids help their dad with that. We also got chickens this year so they have been learning all kinds of stuff there. My two olders want to get involved in raising calves for 4H . . . I am still pondering that one! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

We do have a pretty substantial garden and the kids help their dad with that. We also got chickens this year so they have been learning all kinds of stuff there. My two olders want to get involved in raising calves for 4H . . . I am still pondering that one! 

That sounds great! I would count some of that towards their health credit.

• Like 1