Menu

Moving on from Math-U-See and not sure where to go

lwest

Hello,

My daughter is 10. I pulled her from public school last September, mainly because of weaknesses in our public school curriculum. I started noticing trouble when I was helping her with some long division during her grade four year. She completed grade four math and she tested at a beginning Gamma level using the Math-U-See curriculum. This was despite her always being at the top of her class and her report cards indicating that she was at the highest level of math. 

So she began homeschooling last September (grade 5 year) and I started her with the Gamma level. We moved quickly through it as she didn't need to learn everything but there were some large concepts she had missed or not been taught. Then we did the entire level of Delta moving at her pace. She then did Epsilon. Now, she is on lesson 5 of Zeta. 

Math-U-See was exactly what she needed. The mastery concept helped her to gain confidence and took her from hating math to loving it all in this school year. 

But now she is racing through all these levels attaining near-perfect/perfect scores on the curriculum and I'm worried she isn't being challenged enough. At this point I think it is beneficial to complete Zeta as the sequence of concepts doesn't align well with other curriculum.

I am 95% convinced that I want her to use VideoText Algebra/Geometry for high school math.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Beast Academy and Singapore placement tests and it looks like there are several things that won't be covered in the Math-U-See curriculum (like a lot of geometry) by the time she has finished Zeta and she has not had to face as challenging problems. Going by those placements she would be behind grade-level in either Singapore or Beast Academy. 

I had initially thought we would do Math-U-See Pre-Algebra and then move to VideoText. But now I'm wondering if I should have her do either Beast Academy or Singapore (5 levels? not sure on which) for a year before moving to VideoText. 

So I could do any of these options with her.

1. Stick with Math-U-See and do Pre-Algebra (maybe even the Algebra I) before VideoText.

2. Place her in Beast Academy 4/5 or Singapore 5/6 before VideoText. If I choose this option how do I go about deciding which level? There will be things she hasn't covered in BA 4 and 5, but much that she has; there would be the same issue placing her into Singapore 5 or 6. Would I just go ahead and start at the beginning of BA 5 or Singapore 6A? I'd prefer not to have to go back much further and skip through.

3. Something else??

I would add in a supplement for problem solving and geometry while finishing MUS Zeta, then reassess.

I like and recommend FAN Math Process Skills in Problem Solving and look for L3 or L4 to start. But look at many of the Singaporean based problem solving books--they should be similar in level.

I feel that often G3/L3 is the best "jumping in at a later grade" level for Singaporean math.

Geometry as covered in Elementary math books isn't terribly essential. But I think Spectrum makes a G5 Geometry workbook.

I would want to see how well she is able to use her math skills in the word problems and geometry textbook. Many kids recieve a Rock Solid Foundation with MUS and excel with other programs later. Some kids need more guidance on how to approach more complex looking problems before they are ready to flourish in problem solving.

• Like 3

Thanks for your help. A problem solving supplement is probably what we need for this year. I need to figure out the best way to help her struggle a bit through the problems. For both of my kids I think I'm too quick to help or show them how to solve the problems. The FAN books seem to show the process for figuring out how to do the problems. Have you also used the Challenging Problems sets from Singapore Math (are they similar to the FAN books)? Do they teach the process or just provide problems? 

Is it really ok to not have done much geometry before high school? She doesn't even know what a protractor or compass is. I think I might supplement some geometry for my own  peace of mind.

Also, jumping in at level 3 is best for Singapore? I might have to consider that for my DD7 going into grade three this year so I don't have the same problem as with her older sister. She has completed Beta MUS and I have her working on BA 2A right now. 

What are the best methods for helping kids learn problem-solving in math? My daughter has never had to struggle through school and it seems we always waiver between too easy or too hard. How do I help my kids learn this very important skill? Does it come with age (logic vs grammar stage)? Can someone walk me through how they help their kids figure out a challenging/multi-step word problem? 

Edited by lwest

The older version of challenging word problems was just problems.  It looks like the new one provides some instruction.  I still went and bought up all the levels of fan math before they sold out because I like that it provides instruction on the other ways one might approach a novel problem.  Fan math calls it the heuristic approach.  I think the books from Zacarro or Borac address the same ideas, but they aren't broken into nice, neat grade-level worktexts.

• 4 months later...

Once again I’m not sure what to do with DD10. She is just about halfway through Zeta and we will finish it. I have her working on Beast Academy 4C (integers and problem solving skills) also. 

I am now debating putting her in Singapore dimensions 6 after Zeta is done in a few months. Has anyone made the switch from MathUSee to Singapore dimensions for middle school math? 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, lwest said:

I looked at the Beast Academy and Singapore placement tests and it looks like there are several things that won't be covered in the Math-U-See curriculum (like a lot of geometry) by the time she has finished Zeta and she has not had to face as challenging problems. Going by those placements she would be behind grade-level in either Singapore or Beast Academy. 

I had initially thought we would do Math-U-See Pre-Algebra and then move to VideoText. But now I'm wondering if I should have her do either Beast Academy or Singapore (5 levels? not sure on which) for a year before moving to VideoText. 

Is it really ok to not have done much geometry before high school? She doesn't even know what a protractor or compass is. I think I might supplement some geometry for my own  peace of mind.

56 minutes ago, lwest said:

Once again I’m not sure what to do with DD10. She is just about halfway through Zeta and we will finish it. I have her working on Beast Academy 4C (integers and problem solving skills) also. 

I am now debating putting her in Singapore dimensions 6 after Zeta is done in a few months. Has anyone made the switch from MathUSee to Singapore dimensions for middle school math? 

DS#2 has always had big struggles in math. We came to MUS fairly late -- grade 5 -- and backed up to get solid. Once we saw MUS was working, we supplemented with Singapore (because I had the teacher editions still sitting around from older DS). So we added in excerpts from the teacher books: 4A&B; 5A&B, 6A&B.

While Singapore first demonstrates the "bar method" of problem-solving in the 3A&B levels, even my math struggling DS#2 had NO troubles starting with excerpts from 4A&B. If you go with Singapore as a supplement for word problems and thinking about problem-solving, I would start there, as the topics covered in Singapore 5A&B are VERY different. Then Singapore 6A&B gets into a lot of more difficult multi-step problem-solving. I have no experience with the Challenging Problems, as several of the supplemental books for Singapore came out AFTER DSs were beyond Singapore, so I can't comment about that.

I don't think I would jump in with Singapore Dimensions without some previous exposure to Singapore bar method problem-solving -- possibly do excerpts from 5A/B and 6A/B first, if wanting to go with Singapore.

re: no previous Geometry
Many programs don't use a protractor or compass prior to high school Geometry, so that is not critical knowledge. At the upper elementary ages, I would more want the student to be familiar with area and perimeter at least. In case it helps here are the Common Core Geometry topics by grade:

- grade 4 = points, line segments, rays, angles; perpendicular & parallel lines; 3 types of angles (acute, right, obtuse); symmetry 
- grade 5 = graph & coordinates, plotting points on a graph; familiarity with basic 2-dimensional shapes
- grade 6 = area of triangles, squares, rectangles; volume; draw polygons on a coordinate plane

That's nothing drastic that you're missing that couldn't be picked up as you go with whatever new program you go with. Or, it's easily caught up with a supplement like:
- Mark Twain pub.: Geometry Basics (gr. 5-8)
- Mastering Essential Math Skills: Geometry (gr. 4-6)

So maybe consider doing one of those Geometry supplements + Singapore excerpts and/or Beast Academy 4C+D and into the 5 levels for the rest of the year once you finish MUS Zeta, and then move on to Singapore Dimensions the following year? Just a thought!

Best of luck in finding the best fit, both for the rest of this year, and for next year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I’ve honestly wondered the same thing, but for my particular child in this situation I just can’t seem to find a better fit math wise. I have thought about trying Mr. D next year though. My daughter is also flying through Zeta. I just ordered the Singapore Fan Math books to add in some problem solving. I might even get some of the geometry books mentioned above as well. We may still stick with MUS as our core ,though, unless she changes drastically. 

Edited by hands-on-mama
  • Like 1

Critical Thinking Company has some good books called their "middle school supplements" I think. I have one called Understanding Geometry that's really good and I think there might be a couple others? Those might be good to solidify skills before tackling Video Text.

We use Video Text and love it, btw! We use Math Mammoth for 1st - 7th and then start VT in 8th, but I don't know that I'd recommend MM in your situation. It would be kind of overwhelming to start in the middle, I think.

• Like 2