Menu

High School/College Math and Science (x-posted)

Ds15 was homeschooled years ago but has been in private school for a few years.  Given the current circumstances, we may not enroll him in the fall.  I'm starting to explore option for a Plan B.  Math and science are often hard to find a good fit because he is radically accelerated in both.  He completed Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year.  Any thoughts about math options for next year?  He's been taking advanced high school science classes for several years but has not had chemistry, and we've talked about possibly AP Chemistry for next year.  I do not have the ability to lead him in math or science, but he is autodidactic (though he prefers direct instruction).  What options do you recommend for him?  We're not interested in dual enrollment if there are any other options.  If you have honors level high school options that you love for other subjects, I'm open to hearing those as well.  He's very talented academically, but writing is his weakness (probably average to above average).  He also struggles with organizational skills and time management. 

3 hours ago, Staceyshoe said:

Ds15 was homeschooled years ago but has been in private school for a few years.  Given the current circumstances, we may not enroll him in the fall.  I'm starting to explore option for a Plan B.  Math and science are often hard to find a good fit because he is radically accelerated in both.  He completed Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year.  Any thoughts about math options for next year?  He's been taking advanced high school science classes for several years but has not had chemistry, and we've talked about possibly AP Chemistry for next year.  I do not have the ability to lead him in math or science, but he is autodidactic (though he prefers direct instruction).  What options do you recommend for him?  We're not interested in dual enrollment if there are any other options.  If you have honors level high school options that you love for other subjects, I'm open to hearing those as well.  He's very talented academically, but writing is his weakness (probably average to above average).  He also struggles with organizational skills and time management. 

I won't comment on math, but for chemistry I recommend Chang or Zumdahl.  Zumdahl is not AP level, but it is very thorough and complete, with teacher manuals, tests, worksheets, lab manuals, and student texts all readily available for cheap on Amazon.  I have the student text for Chang, but was unable to find a teacher manual for it, although there are a few scheduling resources online for free.

• Like 1

AP Chem with Peter Moskaluk through PA Homeschoolers is the gold standard, but it is a LOT of work. No live meetings.

For math, maybe John Rosasco would have something of interest to him? The website is not updated, but you can email him with your son's background to see if he has any openings for the fall. https://mathandmusicstudio.com/New_Classes.html

As far as writing, both of these are super pricey. I have had a child take a class from each of these providers but not these particular classes. HS College Bound:  https://hscollegebound.com/Online-Courses.htm

Or, Mrs Lange's classes--just email her to figure out what class would be best. 

http://www.integritasacademy.com/about-register.html She has small class sizes, gives detailed feedback, and will get your ds writing on a higher level no matter where he starts. Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

One quick comment about switching to homeschooling high school:

Do realize that in many areas, it is an "all or nothing" decision, because if you later decide to return DS to a brick-and-mortar high school, many will not accept homeschool credits, and require the student to come in as a 9th grader, regardless of what the student's true level is. Or if they do, it is only through large amounts of hoop-jumping, such as taking and passing the final exam for each and every course in order for the high school to award credit.

That said, in addition to the suggestions above, I know you said you prefer to not consider dual enrollment, but that option can give your student  the direct instruction he prefers, plus credit that counts for both high school AND college, which can ultimately help reduce a little of the overall time (and therefore cost) of future college.

For organizational struggles, perhaps take a quick run through Smart But Scattered for strategies to help scaffold him into those skills.

Welcome back to homeschooling, and BEST of luck in finding what works best! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2