Menu

Ryanair/European airlines question

MEmama

In the US, airlines are currently required to give a full refund on flights that have been cancelled. Does anyone know if European or UK airlines are also required?

Our Ryanair flight from Edinburgh to Dublin was cancelled, and although we were told by the airline we could request a full refund, they have only given us a voucher. There doesn’t seem to be a clear way to remedy this. Has anyone else been successful?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I haven't heard anything on European airlines.   We did get a full refund on a flight to Tokyo.  It was booked through United, but it was on ANA which is a Japanese airline. 

Thanks. We didn’t have too much trouble with Delta on a full refund once our flight was actually cancelled. I'm glad I insisted on waiting.

We were also able to cancel our travel insurance (since, you know, no travel) and we’ve received refunds from all hotels save one. DH is still working on getting a refund instead of a voucher from the holdout. They aren’t even open, but again I’m not sure if there’s an emergency law covering us or if under UK law they can just issue the voucher. 

I think Ryanair is supposed to grant us a refund, but they seem to be making it difficult. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

At least the tickets were probably cheap?  😞   That stinks. 

Yeah, it’s not a huge loss thankfully. 
DH did a chat online with a Ryanair rep; the conversation was totally garbled and came across like it was Google translated. Basically he was told that reps are working from home and thus can’t issue refunds. The “resolution” is that they will send us an email “when this is over”. We won’t be holding our breath.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Thanks. We didn’t have too much trouble with Delta on a full refund once our flight was actually cancelled. I'm glad I insisted on waiting.<snip>

I think Ryanair is supposed to grant us a refund, but they seem to be making it difficult. 

The recent decree  by the U.S. DoT applies as I understand it, to flights within the USA, or to/from the USA. Especially on U.S. Flag carriers. My understanding is that if one has a Non-Refundable ticket, and the airline cancels the flight, or, the airline changes to a schedule very different to what the passenger booked, then, the passenger can request a Refund, which is MUCH better than a Credit.  If the passenger cancels the flight, they are only entitled to a Credit.

What if anything Ryanair will do for you will depend upon UK or EU regulations. In the past, they have been very protective of passengers, but after the demise of the Thomas Cook organization last year, they may not have the money to do that now.

DD has a reservation for early May on American Airlines, from the USA to Colombia, but the Colombian government just extended the ban on International flights until the end of May, so American will need to cancel her reservation,  because there are no flights permitted, and issue a Refund to her. Fingers crossed that they will comply with the recent DoT decree...  DD is waiting for them to send her a message that the flight was cancelled and then she will request a Refund.

The airlines would prefer that you don't know about the recent DoT decree!

Good luck with RyanAir!

• Like 1