Menu

Setting aside CLE reading and just reading books

lulalu

I just need to hear (and yes, I already know it is ok) that I can put aside CLE reading for a time and just have ds read books. 

We have CLE reading 2nd grade. The reading level is easy for him, but the workbooks have so much good stuff in them. It has been easy to use. But there is a whole year worth of workbooks for 2nd grade and it is just getting to feel like a lot. And leaves little time for just reading books. I hate feeling "behind" with workbooks. But we need a change during this season of being home all day. I just hate feeling like we will need to catch up. 

So please just reassure me that this is ok, and we won't need to "catch up"

I struggle with this too.  I don't very naturally discuss the books.  I buy MP lit guides and we discuss orally, sometimes.  That makes me feel like a good in between compromise.  If you feel good about just reading and discussing, that is great.  I get lazy without guidance and a plan.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll "help" 😉 and reassure you that it's not only okay, but far better for you both to drop the reading worksheets at this age:

Yikes! What a way to kill a budding love of reading -- having to do worksheets about it. 😵 

Also -- what on earth could there be to make worksheets about at the 2nd grade level of reading?? If it's about to make sure the student read the book, or if it's about comprehension, or vocabulary, or beginning appreciation of literature -- that's an easy, quick fix: every day, just do a little reading aloud together buddy style ("you read a page, I read a page"), and discuss (IF thoughts come up) in the moment. You can easily see comprehension, and you can "in the moment" add to vocabulary, or discuss. But do be careful not to overdo the questions or discussion and kill the love of the book or of reading. 😄 

At this age, reading should be exciting -- starting to explore new worlds! (and sharing that excitement!) -- not about analysis, or writing about the reading, or worksheets.

Just my (very strong! 😉 ) opinion! Enjoy your reading adventures together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2