Menu

How does this work?

Night Elf

My DH works for HP so is able to work from home. We were a one income family for a long time so we are thankfully okay as far as an income goes. My question is about my income though. I work for a small thrift store. We have 7 employees total and that includes the manager. Right now, the manager and an assistant manager are going into the store every day and painting the entire store. I went in one day but didn't have much to do so left. I don't want to paint. Obviously they are not practicing social distancing. So we're supposed to reopen the store on April 6th. I'm skeptical that non-essential businesses will be allowed to open again at that time. I think it's going to be longer. So in the meantime, I'm not working and not earning a paycheck. While we "can" live on one income, we rely on my income to pay school expenses for college dd and my treatment expenses. 

I don't think I'm eligible to draw unemployment. If they call the store, the manager would probably say I could be working but have chosen to self quarantine. Would it work like that? I shouldn't be punished financially for following government instructions. I'm also in a treatment program that is 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. So those are hours I used to work but now cannot. So the most I could work if I was working would be 22 hours. I don't even know how unemployment works. 

What can I do? Hope we open the store on April 6th and go to work even if many people are still continuing to practice social distancing? I don't see us getting many customers but the employees would at least be earning paychecks.

57 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

My DH works for HP so is able to work from home. We were a one income family for a long time so we are thankfully okay as far as an income goes. My question is about my income though. I work for a small thrift store. We have 7 employees total and that includes the manager. Right now, the manager and an assistant manager are going into the store every day and painting the entire store. I went in one day but didn't have much to do so left. I don't want to paint. Obviously they are not practicing social distancing. So we're supposed to reopen the store on April 6th. I'm skeptical that non-essential businesses will be allowed to open again at that time. I think it's going to be longer. So in the meantime, I'm not working and not earning a paycheck. While we "can" live on one income, we rely on my income to pay school expenses for college dd and my treatment expenses. 

I don't think I'm eligible to draw unemployment. If they call the store, the manager would probably say I could be working but have chosen to self quarantine. Would it work like that? I shouldn't be punished financially for following government instructions. I'm also in a treatment program that is 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. So those are hours I used to work but now cannot. So the most I could work if I was working would be 22 hours. I don't even know how unemployment works. 

What can I do? Hope we open the store on April 6th and go to work even if many people are still continuing to practice social distancing? I don't see us getting many customers but the employees would at least be earning paychecks.

There's no harm in trying to contact your state's unemployment office to ask.  Expect long lines.

• Like 1

Not sure how it works in your state, but here they don't call the employer - they send written notification as soon as an employee files for unemployment. The employer has a certain number of days to file a protest if there is actually work available or if the employee quit.

• Like 1

OP, one other thing - and again, this is how it works in our state and for our businesses, and it may be different for you. Here, when an employee draws unemployment, it makes the experience rating of the employer go up, which then increases the percentage of unemployment tax that the employer has to pay in the future. So in general, employers aren't thrilled if someone tries to draw unemployment when there is work available. Again, I don't know if that even applies to your situation, but wanted to mention it as something to maybe be aware of.

It won’t hurt to file and see what happens.   
They might be able to maintain safe social distancing practices while painting, and you could for sure if you make it clear you’re willing to work if they’ ll agree to stay 6 feet from you.  I’m not sure if your unemployment claim will be approved if you turn down work, though.  
You’re right that things aren’t going to open soon. Some places have specifically said thrift stores are essential, so maybe your area will allow it, or maybe not. 
Hopefully the refund your dds school is sending out will help you bridge the unemployment. And if your income is low enough you can use the stimulus check to help also. 

Edited by Annie G