Menu

DIY Timeline for SOTW

MomN

Has anyone successfully created a timeline that goes along with SOTW?  We are currently on the Ancients and I would like to do an end-of-the-year project where we glue some pictures/text to a timeline that is taped to the wall.  Not sure what paper to use.  Not sure how to divide up the timeline into increments that would fit with the text.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!

We did one every year from a roll of craft paper (24" high). My hallway wall space is 60", so I just took the time frame covered and divided it into whatever increments were logical. So SOTW 1 goes from prehistory to roughly 400 AD with the fall of Rome. So millenia as increments. For the later books, I used centuries or decades, as appropriate for the length of timexovered in each book. For Ancients, I think I started the dates with 6K BC, so 10 1000 yr increments. I just used a yardstick and drew the line in pencil across the middle of the paper and out the basic dates on. We used colored pencils and pens to add entries in various categories. Leaders, documents or books, wars, science and technology, the arts, etc. I made a key to the color coding at the top right corner. We added pictures (drawn, cut out, photos etc.) with some text for each entry, above and below the line.

Very basic, but fun.

I had my kids thoroughly memorize 4-6 dates from each year, as reference points. 

Edited by ScoutTN

I didn't have a good wall space to use, so I made one that accordion-folded into a book. My approach was a lot like ScoutTN's. I made cards for SotW with a card for each section. Every 5 chapters we would spend history time reviewing the last 5 chapters as we put on the timeline cards. I made the timeline on cardstock and then sandwiched it between contact paper. That way I can use repositionable glue dots to attach the cards - and then take them all off for the next dc.

• Like 1

We put everything on the same timeline (science, history, art, music, random things of interest like when diesel trains were invented).  Here's some pictures of what we use. We had a very large empty wall so I wanted to create something visually interesting and not just white pieces of paper taped together.  I wrapped a couple of foam boards in fabric and then all the paper is cardstock.  The circles are about 1".

IMG_20200306_192727799.jpg

IMG_20200306_192704090.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, MomN said:

Has anyone successfully created a timeline that goes along with SOTW?  We are currently on the Ancients and I would like to do an end-of-the-year project where we glue some pictures/text to a timeline that is taped to the wall.  Not sure what paper to use.  Not sure how to divide up the timeline into increments that would fit with the text.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Have you tried a google search for SOTW flash cards or study cards? It's been awhile but I came across printable study cards for SOTW that we used to put in order. They are half page size so you might have to shrink them for a timeline. Something might come up in a search.