Menu

window seats...need decorating ideas please

ProudGrandma

We have a big window seat in our home, with 4 big windows.   We are replacing the current windows (today) with new ones.  The current ones have blinds inside the window panes, so I never worried about window treatments either than a valance for a little color.  But we are now going to need something (the new ones will not have blinds inside) because certain times of the year the sun beams in pretty strongly.  We rarely completely closed the blinds, but sometime we slightly close them for privacy  (we live in a small town with neighbors) or to keep the sun from blinding someone.   So, I am toying with Roman Shades.  What do you all have for window treatments for such windows?  Any suggestions. 

Also the window seat has become just one more horizontal space that collects stuff.  I want that to change....after removing all of the "stuff" so the windows can be replaced, I LOVE how it feels not so cluttered.  But, I am not sure what to put on the seat part.  I looked on pintrest and all of the pictures look like they came from a model home...not a real people's home...So I want to know what real people do with their window seats.  All I see is a putting pillows on the window seat...which is a nice idea...but I want to have several to choose from...any other ideas? (pictures would be awesome if you have them to share)

One issue we have is that under the seat part there is actually nothing there...no inside storage...it is actually just the outside...so when I removed the lame cushion I made years ago, there was actually some dampness (from condensation) and even a little bit of mold on the cushion cover.  Not bad...but enough to notice.  Under the cushion is an UGLY old fashioned tile that is stained and just icky.  So I really want to cover it.  Would making a cover that is plastic underneath and cloth on top be the answer?  Or is there a better idea?

I am open to any and all decorating ideas....send them all my way!  thanks.

We used lace roller shades on the side of the house where we rarely wanted to block out the light, but still wanted the option of not feeling so exposed.  They're perfect.  (Just google "lace roller shades.")  When the shades are down, the sunlight still comes through but you can't see in from the outside.  

We ordered a cushion (made to order) from this site, and it turned out beautiful!

https://www.cushionsource.com/buy-cushions.php?type=window

We added some throw pillows and now it's really a window "seat" -- after years of just holding clutter.  🙂 

My favorite (though pricey) option is plantation shutters.  You can have them made to follow the lines of the windows so you can use the seat even if they are shut.

I also like the cellular shades, especially the ones that open from the top OR the bottom.  That way if you want the light and the privacy you can have them open at the top and closed at the bottom.

Roman shades are nice too, although I would worry about how to clean them.  The only ones I've had were made by a family member using a pattern from the fabric store.  You could just unthread the dowels from the back and throw them in the washing machine seasonally like curtains.  I don't think you can do that with store bought ones.  I guess you just vacuum?  Or replace when they get stained by little fingers?

We have cellular shades that we open daily. I have sheer curtains at the two outside edges and valances across all three windows.  None of that moves.

i just have one large plant on the tiled  window seat. It gives us privacy when the blinds are open. It can be moved when we have guests and need more seating.

Pillows, I never figured out how to make that work as the window glass goes right to the tile, and who wants to lean against glass to sit, or move the pillows when you want to close the blinds at night. Not me. So it’s just one plant. 

I do have built in open space below the  seat where I display vintage pottery . It’s Colorful. 

13 hours ago, KatieinMich said:

We have cellular shades that we open daily. I have sheer curtains at the two outside edges and valances across all three windows.  None of that moves.

i just have one large plant on the tiled  window seat. It gives us privacy when the blinds are open. It can be moved when we have guests and need more seating.

Pillows, I never figured out how to make that work as the window glass goes right to the tile, and who wants to lean against glass to sit, or move the pillows when you want to close the blinds at night. Not me. So it’s just one plant. 

I do have built in open space below the  seat where I display vintage pottery . It’s Colorful. 

I would love to see a picture of your window...if you don't mind sharing it.  Thanks. 

We have a window seat area that is set up for bird watching (it's used as a shelf, not a seat).  We have birding books there and a pair of binoculars.  I don't have a photo of it.  Is there a hobby that would be usefully stored/displayed on your seat?

We have another deep windowsill that has decorative items on it.  They are all things that mean something to us - inherited, bought in particular places, picked up on a beach, etc - so it doesn't feel sterile to us:

image.png.1fc87324f4b0dc76a3a50efdc0e593fe.png

On 2/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, kfeusse said:

I would love to see a picture of your window...if you don't mind sharing it.  Thanks. 

Well, obviously don’t know how to do photos. Pm me your email and I can send it that way.

Edited by KatieinMich