Menu

12th grade math (non AP or de)

Looking for a 12th grade math class for my ds in the fall. I’m not interested in AP (exams difficult to schedule, courses expensive and I don’t see a big upside in his situation) or de (i don’t see a de class available to us that looks like a sure clean transfer and I don’t know that any available locally are a good fit for him). He is a strong math student (though not gifted) and likes math so I am looking for something heavier than a consumer math type thing.

What he has had so far: Algebra 1, 2, Precal, counting and probability, and intro to statistics through WTMA  as well as geometry through MPOA. He is currently taking an intro to stats de at our local university.

His goals: he plans to attend our state flagship and major in business analytics and/or accounting. ?? He loves math and stats and spreadsheets and data. If he sticks with this plan he would just need a business calculus type of class. There is nothing like that locally to take de and while Calc 1 could substitute for that I am not interested in him taking Calc 1 de for a couple reasons.

So, I want him to continue in math senior year but not take AP or de. I am thinking of Thinkwell calculus. That is not too expensive and it would give him an intro for whatever math he would take in college. Also it would be flexible for him as he might have some extracurricular activity demands on his weekday schedule. I just want to keep him going using math but I’m not looking to reach any specific goal I don’t think. He has all the math he “needs” and has a good math ACT and will not have trouble gaining admission to his desired college so I don’t need to worry about those factors.

This is my third boy but my older two were not strong math students and we just got them through precal and de stats. I haven’t had one looking beyond that before. Any ideas?

• Like 1

You can take a course labeled AP without taking the exam, and you don't even have to call it AP on your transcript. Just keep that in mind as you are looking at courses.

That said, Derek Owens has a Calc AB course that is labeled "AP", but might work for you? I assume his courses still work the same, with the monthly charge, so you can save money if he is good at math and moves through it more quickly. I like Derek Owens because you can ask questions if there is a tricky spot. Of course, a tutor could help in that way too if you went with Thinkwell.

I don't have experience with Thinkwell, apart from using it for a US Govt course. That course was just fine, but there is no option for additional help if needed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoodGrief1 said:

You can take a course labeled AP without taking the exam, and you don't even have to call it AP on your transcript. Just keep that in mind as you are looking at courses.

That said, Derek Owens has a Calc AB course that is labeled "AP", but might work for you? I assume his courses still work the same, with the monthly charge, so you can save money if he is good at math and moves through it more quickly. I like Derek Owens because you can ask questions if there is a tricky spot. Of course, a tutor could help in that way too if you went with Thinkwell.

I don't have experience with Thinkwell, apart from using it for a US Govt course. That course was just fine, but there is no option for additional help if needed.

I had also thought of that option of taking an AP class and not the exam and that is definitely an option. Derek Owens would also be flexible so I do definitely need to consider that. Dh can help if he needs help so that is a bonus. Thanks!

On 1/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, teachermom2834 said:

I had also thought of that option of taking an AP class and not the exam and that is definitely an option. Derek Owens would also be flexible so I do definitely need to consider that. Dh can help if he needs help so that is a bonus. Thanks!

I was also going to mention DO. My daughter is taking the class but probably isn't going to take the test. I think she will take some kind of personal finance class as a senior. She still isn't decided on a major, but it is unlikely to have anything to do with math.

Would he like to take an accounting class as his last math class?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

I was also going to mention DO. My daughter is taking the class but probably isn't going to take the test. I think she will take some kind of personal finance class as a senior. She still isn't decided on a major, but it is unlikely to have anything to do with math.

Would he like to take an accounting class as his last math class?

That's a possibility. He did say today that he'd like to take AP Calc but I do think he will be interested in accounting. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thinkwell has been great for us. One son used it to study for the AP Calc BC exam, scored a 5, got his B.S. in Computer Science, now has a couple masters degrees, and still speaks fondly of Thinkwell Calc. My current student will likely skip the AP exam for reasons probably similar to yours, but he's been doing really well with Thinkwell (Alg. 2 through Calc). I love the flexibility of Thinkwell and my kids love the instructor.  You can get a steep discount through Homeschool Buyers Coop, so watch for sales, which pop up at least a couple times a year. You'll have a year to begin the course after buying it through HBC and then another year to complete it. 

Edited by Jane Elliot
  • Like 1