Menu

Dr Hive....I think my friend might have made a mistake

ProudGrandma

My friend has an 18 year old son who was on a prescription stomach acid blocker (20 mg once a day).  He took it for a month.  They were wanting to see if it made a difference in his symptoms (which it did) so they could know how to treat it more naturally.  The doctor wanted him to be on it another 2 months...and then they would help wean him off.  the mom and dad didn't want him on it that long, so The mom did a little research on the computer and came up with a formula for weaning him off.....she started with the first week being 1 whole pill on day, I half pill the next, 1 whole, 1 half....so, he took a whole one on the 17th and a half on the 18th....no pain...no problem...whole on 19th and half on 20.....he said he felt some cramping on the 20th (which was yesterday).  So then, I guess last night he was up several time in the night with loose stools and cramping.  This morning he took his full dose of medicine but he has felt pretty crummy all day and has thrown up a little bit 2 times. (not like the stomach flu)  I am assuming all of this because he tried to take himself off the medicine, yes?  What are the odds he will start to feel better tomorrow and what can he do now to start feeling better?  I guess he hasn't eaten much all day...

any advice??  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Slache said:

They need to call the doctor and tell him what they've done. They can even say "I'm going to wean him off right now, tell me how."

they have decided to follow the doctor's instruction and wait the 2 months...so I think they are just now wondering how long he will feel bad.  

If he is taking omeprazole, the longer he is on it, the harder it is to get off it. I've been on it for years.    They found the right method to do it.  It takes at least four weeks tapering off with However, there will be rebound acidity which is what he was experiencing. He'll probably feel worse before he feels better.   He'll need to augment with tums and stay away from trigger foods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess he is feeling a bit better...he has eaten some jello...but he still has small amounts of loose stools (maybe 6 times today).  (not like diarrhea when you are sick).... The "right method" looks like what his mom was telling me they were going to try...so I don't know.  When you mention trigger foods...he had chili here at our home last night...that probably didn't help...huh?

Decreasing that slowly off pepcid, is **highly** unlikely to cause those symptoms.  I think he has a stomach bug that just coincided with his decrease.  

Was the doctor was using it to treat diarrhea? That would be the only reason that tapering off would likely cause it to come back.  If so, I would stay on the med for the time the doctor recommended. The doctor is likely trying to heal an erosion in the GI tract if he is using pepcid for diarrhea. Going off too soon, will just undo the positive ground the patient has made. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I guess he is feeling a bit better...he has eaten some jello...but he still has small amounts of loose stools (maybe 6 times today).  (not like diarrhea when you are sick).... The "right method" looks like what his mom was telling me they were going to try...so I don't know.  When you mention trigger foods...he had chili here at our home last night...that probably didn't help...huh?

Urm, probably not, if it was spicy, but that was his choice to eat it.  He just needs to realize he can't eat some foods when he isn't on the blocker.  If he has an ulcer or sensitivity or allergy to certain foods, it''ll backfire on him without the blocker. 

Edited by Robin M

Just out of curiosity she called a  pharmacist...according to him, he shouldn't have to wean himself off that particular medicine, however, if the doctor prescribed it for 3 months he needs to take it for 3 months because his stomach needs to heal and taking the medicine is allowing that to happen. So, when he stopped (and I just found out he tried one other time with the same results) his stomach got upset because it still needs to heal.  So, because it happened one other time...my vote is not flu...but also not rebound...but rather what the pharmacist said...that make total sense to me. 

• Thanks 1