Menu

pygame (python) tutorial

silver

I bought this book for my son for Christmas: Mission Python: Code a Space... https://www.amazon.com/dp/1593278578?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

It's supposed to walk you through creating your own game with graphics. He hasn't started it yet because we use Chromebooks and I haven't figured out how to get Python and pygame loaded onto them. 

2 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

I bought this book for my son for Christmas: Mission Python: Code a Space... https://www.amazon.com/dp/1593278578?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

It's supposed to walk you through creating your own game with graphics. He hasn't started it yet because we use Chromebooks and I haven't figured out how to get Python and pygame loaded onto them. 

I'm pretty sure (95.8%) that Python won't run directly on Chromebook. You'll need to hop through some hoops--probably have to run a virtual machine, or use a cloud-based solution--to use Python from a Chromebook.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gil said:

I'm pretty sure (95.8%) that Python won't run directly on Chromebook. You'll need to hop through some hoops--probably have to run a virtual machine, or use a cloud-based solution--to use Python from a Chromebook.

I have found directions online to load it through Linux, which my machine runs in beta. I just don't have the knowledge myself to be confident in not screwing up the process!

Does anyone have a good resource for how to load python on a raspberry pi?  Supposedly it comes with python, but it needs some libraries installed to be able to use it for coding.  My son has been trying to figure it out, but is having trouble.  

It's been a few years and probably the RasPis are different now then when I used them, but my go to reference for getting started was was Raspberry Pi for Dummies by Sean McManus and Mike Cook.  Have you already installed Linux?  If you need to download additional libraries, you may need a wifi dongle to get an internet connection. 

Checking Amazon, it looks like there is a newer edition of the book you may want to try.   

16 hours ago, daijobu said:

It's been a few years and probably the RasPis are different now then when I used them, but my go to reference for getting started was was Raspberry Pi for Dummies by Sean McManus and Mike Cook.  Have you already installed Linux?  If you need to download additional libraries, you may need a wifi dongle to get an internet connection. 

Checking Amazon, it looks like there is a newer edition of the book you may want to try.   

Thanks for the book recommendation... I have it in my cart.  I have been pressing my son and my husband today for details about what is going on.  Turns out someone broke the SD card that came with the pi and my son tried to create a new one, but I believe it is missing files.  My husband has promised to get it figured out this weekend.