Menu

Need help for math class for kid not Calculus bound

DS10th grade took Alg 1 in 8th grade (my mistake!), geometry in 9th (though didn't cover some advanced geometry topics), and is taking Alg 2 in 10th, which we have struggled through.  Math is not intuitive for him as it was for me.  That means he has to take 2 more math classes to graduate which he isn't happy about.   Right now, the plan is for him to take DE College Algebra in 12th grade.  So, for 11th grade, I need a good plan for filling in the geometry and algebra gaps he has.  My goal is for him to become really solid in those for the ACT and for DE College Algebra.  So far, I haven't found a set curriculum that really covers what he needs to work on the most so I'm planning to do a homegrown course using a variety of resources.  Topics will include advanced algebra topics, geometry, introductory trig, and statistics.  Do you think we'd be okay using Khan Academy as our guide and pull in other resources?  If so, what other resources would you recommend?  What would you title the course for his transcript?

Our local high school has a similar course they call "math methods." You could call it "topics in math," or another broad title like that, maybe check your local public school options and see what it is called in your area.  Or, you could just call it a semester/year of statistics and a semester/year of trig and add in the other stuff.

• Like 1

much of 'pre calc' classes is more advanced Alg topics, trig (again and in depth) and similar.  Generally doesn't include anything from stats, so you'd have to pull that from someplace else, but it's a fairly slush-bucket class anyway, so you could just go with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EKS said:

What are you using for Algebra 2?

DS is taking a tutorial class for Alg 2.  I forget the text offhand but it's a standard high school textbook publisher (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt or similar).  I don't hate it but I don't love it either.  A lot of that is due to the tutorial instructor, though.

9 hours ago, daijobu said:

How about a basic probability course?  It will be useful, and intuitive and fun.

+1  We used AoPS Intro to Counting and Prob, and it was well received.  Doesn't have to be done in the 'student lead' approach they suggest.  you can teach to it as well.