Menu

AP vs DC chem?

Looking ahead to next year, DC chemistry might be a better option for us than AP. Although I think the ChemAdvantage course would be superior in content, the DC course has real labs and dd might know some of the kids in the class.

I may be working days at that point, and I would rather dd not be home alone 6-8 hours a day, making DC more attractive. Cost is similar unless I end up working at the college (a real possibility- I have a resume in with their student services).

Am I correct in that dd would need 2 college semesters of DC to equal an AP Chem course?

One of her target colleges likely won't take a transfer credit, although they have some alternate testing/ course sequence hopping options.

Would it be crazy to do the college classes and then take for the AP exam? CLEP won't count, either, and she'll already have an SAT Subject test score.

The thing I'd worry about with a CC chem class is how hard it is to get a good grade. It tends to be a weeder class for nursing and pre-engineering students, so it could have a brutal curve. If the school offers both a non-science major chem and a major chem, I'd tend toward the non-major class and have a student retake the major class at their 4 year if they need it (because it can also be a weeder class at a 4 year school). I'm not opposed to taking hard classes, but they should be the hard classes for your own major, not a distributional requirement and not a class you'll have to retake anyway. About a third of my dd's Calc 1 class withdrew, including her DE study buddy. It is a hard class because it is the gateway for the pre-engineers. The girl just could not afford a C on her permanent record.

• Like 3

My dd#1 took Chem at the local state college (a 4 yr, not a CC) because one semester was more enticing than spending a year in AP Chem, time-wise. She enjoyed her non-honors online Chem course through Excelsior a couple years prior and excelled in the Chem course at the college senior year. 

Her major only requires one semester of Chem & the college Chem class transferred to cover it, so she didn't have to take it at her current college. (Many of her friends are in it now & they complain about it.) It was the right decision for her even if it hadn't transferred. There is no way she would have enjoyed ChemAdvantage's non-live, arduous, time-consuming class. Live classes were definitely her thing. Plus, her college class was much, much less time-consuming homework-wise even though it sucked up a lot of in person time for class & lab.

Know they student & check on ratemyprofessor to see how the local class/prof are.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Is there an interesting and in-depth second option for a second high school chem class that maybe isn't AP or DC?

How about Connie’s Intro to Organic & BioChem? Here’s a link: http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/introduction-to-organic-chemistry-biochemistry/

It says post-Honors or AP, but may be right for your student if s/he is strong and motivated. My DD is in her regular chem, but is considering this course for a next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fourisenough said:

How about Connie’s Intro to Organic & BioChem? Here’s a link: http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/introduction-to-organic-chemistry-biochemistry/

It says post-Honors or AP, but may be right for your student if s/he is strong and motivated. My DD is in her regular chem, but is considering this course for a next year.

I was just coming here to say this very thing.

• Like 1

She's a strong student, but I want her to be successful. I'm not sure a Post AP class would be a good fit. The reviews I've read of her honors classes tells me that this would probably be too much (she didn't particularly like chemistry the first time around, so I don't think she learned it with any depth.) That was probably having me as a teacher. Everything was a struggle that year.

59 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

She's a strong student, but I want her to be successful. I'm not sure a Post AP class would be a good fit. The reviews I've read of her honors classes tells me that this would probably be too much (she didn't particularly like chemistry the first time around, so I don't think she learned it with any depth.) That was probably having me as a teacher. Everything was a struggle that year.

Fair enough. You might have her take Connie’s regular chem class? My DD adores her level of organization, lucid teaching, and warmth and positive vibes. The class is SOLID. I’m confident DD will be prepared for college-Level Chem after this class. 

• Like 2