Menu

Got this call last night

Scarlett

She said she was from Data Source calling on behalf of <my bank>.  I said....ooook?  She said she was checking the balance of a credit card.  Now the credit card she named is one my XH and I were joint owners on....He was ordered in the divorce to pay the balance.  It has never been closed but he doesn't use it.  I got on Credit Karma and and can see it has zero balance and hasn't been used since 2013. 

I know it is a scam.  That is the second scam call I have received since we have been in the process of selling and buying a new house.  I think someone in the bank is selling names out there.  The other one was someone wanting to sell me title insurance.  

4 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Title insurance is a thing. But I thought it was included by the bank/mortgage lender (Title insurers are outside companies though). We've always gotten title insurance. 

Right.  We are getting it through the Abstract office...we pay for it at closing.  That call might have been a legit service....but how did they know were are selling a house and how did they know my cell phone number?

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Right.  We are getting it through the Abstract office...we pay for it at closing.  That call might have been a legit service....but how did they know were are selling a house and how did they know my cell phone number?

Probably the bank/lender provides them the contact info. Ask the bank or whoever called. 

There are many data bases available where you type in an address and you can get contact information for people who are associated with that address--including cell phone numbers.  If a house is listed for sell, someone could enter that address and perhaps get your cell number as someone tied to that address.  

Well, legit or scam....we recently took out a loan that's like a second mortgage. Anyway, since then we've been inundated with credit card offers, refinance offers, debt consolidation offers. It's been off the hook crazy. Calls and emails and mail. We did our business through the SECU but I guess we got added to some public list. 

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

Probably the bank/lender provides them the contact info. Ask the bank or whoever called. 

My bank should not be giving my information to anyone like that.  When I said it might have been a legit service I didn't mean that they were working for the bank.  I have already purchased title insurance through the abstract company who is handling the closing for us.

47 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

There are many data bases available where you type in an address and you can get contact information for people who are associated with that address--including cell phone numbers.  If a house is listed for sell, someone could enter that address and perhaps get your cell number as someone tied to that address.  

Our house has been listed 'for sale', privately for over 6 months.  But only 10 days after we signed a contract did I get a call offering a service to 'homeowners who sell their houses themselves.'  

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I also would have assumed it was a scam. I just assume everything's a scam at this point.

I know right.  Turned out to be a big mess....somehow the credit bureau shows my name attached to my XH's cc at a bank where he and I once had a joint account.  We have been divorced since 2009.  Of course they didn't tell me it was my XH's cc....I called him and asked him if it was his....but anyway, I guess the bank is satisfied that my name isn't actually attached to it.  But I am disputing it with Trans union.

• Like 2