Menu

Winter ice traction shoe cleats recommendations?

Pen

Yup, Yak Trax. We love them for our evening walks in the neighborhood and hiking in cleared (not snowy but definitely icy) trails. They fit well over snow boots (like Keen, Bean boots or Sorel) and hiking boots.

We don’t dry them and haven’t had an issue with rust. We just throw  them in the car or in a basket by the front door. 

We bought some for my mom when they travel to Europe in the winter (they don’t live in a climate where she can use them at home). They have been very easy for her to use even in cities. 

• Like 1

I have several pairs of yak trax the ones with spring looking bottoms and some with the spikes/cleats. They both work great and in different conditions. The spikes I wear when there is a lot of ice or snow ice mix. The ones with the metal wrapped around like springs I wear with little ice, and no snow. The spring ones collect wet snow, which does fall off after a bit. Both have springs and cleat on the whole bottom of the foot. I've seen some where they only have cleats on the heel and others with cleats only on the ball of the foot.  

• Like 1