Menu

PAH Macro Econ

25 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

We ❤️ Richman's AP Macro over here. 2nd dc in it this year. Workload, maybe 1 hour per day, sometimes less. First ds got an easy 5 on exam. Took PAH Micro (Burns) after. Said not as engaging, but got the job done and scored a 5 too.

Did your DS need to do any extra prep or doesn’t he weave test prep into the course? I am curious how it works since the class wraps up in January, right? So how did you prep before the exam? Or does he run a review session before?

There is continued work maybe weekly/monthly with practice tests I think, ongoing from Jan-May. It's much more than a 1/2 credit class. Then there is pointed test prep/discussion somewhere near the end as well if I recall. Plus my ds watched all the AC/DC videos for pointed test prep in the week or 2 before the test. 

• Thanks 1

My son took Macro with Dr. Richman last year and absolutely loved it. The main work took on average about 1 hour a day. There were also ongoing games in the class; it was really up to each student how much time he wanted to put into these. My son put hours of his own time strategizing about the games with several other students, but it was his choice. There was some ongoing review in the spring (an assignment was due every other week, I think). My son also took Micro with Burns in the spring. This class was ok, but overall paled in comparison with Dr. Richman's class. My son also worked through ACDC economics before the exams for review and scored 5 on both.

• Like 1

We are also trying to decide whether Macro will be at the local lib arts college or PA homeschoolers. Schedule might determine it and that won’t be known for a long while but listening in. 

I have some baggage with this in that every single Econ class I took was with a prof whose spoken English was very poor, so I did not understand anything at all in class (and I was an extremely diligent little undergrad). So trying to avoid that lol. On the other hand, really conflicted about having first or second econ taught at a Christian provider...argh. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

We are also trying to decide whether Macro will be at the local lib arts college or PA homeschoolers. Schedule might determine it and that won’t be known for a long while but listening in. 

I have some baggage with this in that every single Econ class I took was with a prof whose spoken English was very poor, so I did not understand anything at all in class (and I was an extremely diligent little undergrad). So trying to avoid that lol. On the other hand, really conflicted about having first or second econ taught at a Christian provider...argh. 

PA Homeschoolers is not a Christian provider. Some of their teachers are, but the Richmans are Jewish and the classes are secular. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freesia said:

PA Homeschoolers is not a Christian provider. Some of their teachers are, but the Richmans are Jewish and the classes are secular. 

I guess my general point is that almost every online provider is either Christian or fairly conservative. I know it’s completely incorrect to use the terms interchangeably but I’m commenting on general class worldview leaning, which is also set by the class population. And I know it can’t be helped, I was just musing on the D.E. or AP choice. We’ve taken a few classes at PA homeschoolers and none thus far lean Marxist 😂 

(sorry OP for tangent)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I would love to know which classes their aren’t secular. I am glad to hear Econ is secular. 

I mean it’s like CLRC, a class may be secular but the students are not. Some of the stuff that gets posted that DS passes on is fairly shocking to me. I guess glad they have a vent?

Or (different class) the teacher will say she will pray for you. Mostly harmless stuff 🙂  some subjects, like Econ, lends themselves more to worldview having a place unlike Calculus or Chem. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Just now, madteaparty said:

I mean it’s like CLRC, a class may be secular but the students are not. Some of the stuff that gets posted that DS passes on is fairly shocking to me. I guess glad they have a vent?

Or (different class) the teacher will say she will pray for you. Mostly harmless stuff 🙂  

Oh that. Same here.

But I do recall that some PAH aren’t secular. I wish I had saved the info, but I have vague recollection of somebody complaining about US History one, but I could be wrong. It was a long time ago. Also they added teachers since, so who knows. Maybe it was Swimmermom’s old post. Maybe.