Menu

Count of Monte Cristo: Aligning Unabridged to Abridged

Hello! Dropping back in after a long absence (my own have graduated)...

I am tutoring a student and we are reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I am reading the unabridged version (because it is so much richer), but he is reading the Bantam Classic unabridged version. Has anyone ever matched up the chapters of these two? It would be helpful in my planning to know ahead of time. I have never read the unabridged version and don't want to "peek" ahead so I thought I'd ask here first before resorting to all night reading sessions. LOL!

Thanks so much! Pamela in VA

Edited by Pamela in VA

I didn't match up the chapters, but I used the unabridged as a read-aloud book for several weeks, until we started running out of time in the schedule and I switched.  The abridged made some long, descriptive sections a lot more bearable.  I do remember that there were some problems with our understanding of the story with the abridged, so I occasionally had to go back to the unabridged to flesh out what happened.   

• Like 1

I think you need to read the same version for the purpose of tutoring. Reading the unabridged version may help you enhance his understanding, but you also have to know exactly what he's reading. How else are you going to critique his understanding of foreshadowing in this section, or symbolism in that section? How are you going to know if he's missing something or if it's actually omitted in the abridged section? Abridged versions are going to condense and omit things within chapters, so aligning them won't solve the problem. If you have to choose, read the same version.