Menu

nevermind

mamashark

Your daughter isn’t the only person with social deficits the pastor’s daughter is going to meet.  I think he could talk to her generally about how people can have various degrees of difficulty with social interactions and how we can be graceful with them and give them the benefit of the doubt.  (I say “we” because it applies to all of us.  I’m Autistic I still need to work to accommodate people who struggle with social.  It’s just part of life.)  This doesn’t have to be labeled “Autism.”  Social strengths and weaknesses are universal.

• Like 6

I prefer to blab that I'm autistic, because it is easier and I don't see it as something to be ashamed of.

But as LawyerMom says, your pastor's daughter is going to meet a lot of people she finds difficult to deal with. That's just as much of a deficiency of hers as it is of the quirky people of the world, and that's what I'd tell her. 

11 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

As the parent of a child with an ASD diagnosis, I don't find "autism" to be useful as an explanation.  The cliche' "if you have met one person with autism, you have met one person with autism" applies.  My DDs are now in the same GS troop and in that troop, one leader has a girl in the troop with a diagnosis, the other leader has a boy in a boy scout troop with a diagnosis.  These children are ALL very different and ALL have very different struggles.  I have posted here about my struggles babysitting the one boy, he presents entirely differently than my own DD. 

So my suggestion, don't ask your pastor to explain "autism"  Try to explain the actual struggles your child deals with.  If she has sensory issues, have the pastor explain that some people find X and Y and Z to be really painful even if the DD doesn't, it's how their brain works.  If she had language issues, have the pastor explain, maybe likening it to a foreign language.  If she struggles with feeding issues, explain from that standpoint.  

There are a very large number of adults who hear "autism" and think it means Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.  But, that's not what it means and I have struggled with the idea that "autism" explains the struggles my kids have or what they need (which is what I dealt with in public school.....ASD must mean they need XYZ accomodation.  But, it doesn't)

This is helpful.

Edited by mamashark
  • Like 1