Menu

Meditation: any resources that you can recommend?

mathnerd

I would really like to regulate my mental state and get rid of stress (and the issues that stem from that) by meditating regularly. I also have a serious case of insomnia and I would like to achieve an even mood without the ups and lows from the stress (without going into details, there is an NPD who I have limited contact with but who periodically pops up and creates anxiety). 

In the past, I have used some CD's for guided mediation and some apps but I am ready for a change and to try something else. Could anyone give me recommendations for programs or websites or books that helped you? Thanks.

Edited by mathnerd

1. Navy Seal Breathing Technique (YouTube)

2. books  YouTubes on meditation by Christopher Willard

4. I also took a meditation class at one point (mantra based “transcendental”?) which can also use any word or sound or phrase that calms... (eg Peace, Love, God, Shalom, God have mercy...) 

5. Chi Gung meditation (videos and a class)

Edited by Pen
To put numbers on items
  • Thanks 1

And I learned a slightly different form of the following linked meditation chant—which always brings a smile to my face... but I don’t use it in connection with negative people— Like, I don’t want to spoil it with bad associations. 

https://janarunnalls.bandcamp.com/track/gayatri-mantra

ETA:

(if you listen to the recording,  you’ll probably know if it appeals or not.  I like the slightly different tune and rhythm I learned slightly better (from a Sounds True recording about 25 years ago), but probably only because it’s become “mine”.)

It’s excellent for times when I want full awake meditation with eyes open (stuck in traffic, for example), and I can do it so easily It’s actually easier for me than more recently learned approaches like Navy Seal Breathing.   

However, also, I suspect it incorporates something similar to the Seal Breathing technique because each phrase tends to get longer and the need to let out Sound on the chant part requires a slow controlled and calm  outbreath. IE (no idea about my spelling ) 

breathe in,

out breath chant: Aum Bhu

breathe in,

Out breath chant: Aum Bhuvaha

breathe in,

Out breath chant: Aum swaha aum maha

breathe in,

Outbreat chant on: aum janaha, aum tapaha,

breathe in,

shorter out on: aum satyam

breathe in,

longer out on: aum tat savitur varenyam

breathe in,

longest out on: bhargo devasya dimahi diyo yonaha prachodayat

and back to the start.  

Well! I feel better already, as I needed to do it to be able to write it!

Also a few times through are probably roughly equal to the emotion settling 90 seconds as explained in the Joan Rosenberg video

Edited by Pen

I saw that secular was mentioned by a pp, so not sure if this is up your alley.  

The Rosary.  The item or not, along with prayers found online are meant to be a focused meditation on events of the life of Jesus.  My understanding is that many people not even Catholic find it deeply relaxing.  I fall asleep to it.  In my head.

• Like 1

I use Calm, the app, which has daily meditations, specific meditations, open-ended type, and sleep stories. I love all of these features and use the app almost every day. There is also a free app called Insight Timer, which I have used sometimes, but I usually like Calm better. I did use one from Insight Timer in the car when I was going in for dental work. It was a very short one, like 5 minutes, and it meditated on, “I am safe.” It was quite helpful. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daijobu said:

8-Minute Meditation.  I like that it's short and to the point and secular.  

I just grabbed a link and was coming to this thread to recommend that one.

So OP, I second the book 8 Minute Meditation. Actually, there's a newer version that also has a Kindle edition. I have the earlier one that @daijobu linked so I don't know what, if any, differences are in the newer edition. 

• Like 1