Menu

At home celiac disease test on sale now

ktgrok

I remember reading about this test being developed, and was really excited for it. It's available now and for Celiac Awareness day or week or something on sale for $79. It's a finger prick test, not a full blood draw, so less scary for needle phobic people and you don't need a doctor's visit, trip to the lab, etc. I have been pushing my husband and oldest son to get tested for nearly a year, as all first degree relatives of a celiac patient should be tested themselves, and they have both not made the time to go do it. So, they are each getting this! 

https://imaware.health/celiac-disease/at-home-blood-test

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

I talked to them in person about this when it first came out. It is important to know that you have to be eating a good amount of gluten before testing or (just like the ttg) you will get a false negative. I don’t know what the site says now but when I looked (a few months ago) it didn’t make that clear. I think that it is a good thing but people who don’t do  their homework could be led into false conclusions. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@Ktgrok, link?   Does it show sensitivities or just straight up allergy?  Thanks!! 💗

It is not an allergy test - it tests ttg-IgA and tag-IgG and I think two others as well - same things checked during normal celiac lab work. 

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Is it definitive? 

I’m thinking if the results are yes, that’s a yes. But if the blood prick results are no, that could be a false negative. As far as I know the only true confirmation involves a biopsy. 

Not throwing shade on this test - just saying there’s a chance for a false negative so even if you get a no, and you still have signs and symptoms pointing to celiac, this test probably won’t rule it out, so you might have to keep pushing for a diagnosis.  

Right - even if you have the normal blood draw at a lab you will will need a biopsy to confirm. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I talked to them in person about this when it first came out. It is important to know that you have to be eating a good amount of gluten before testing or (just like the ttg) you will get a false negative. I don’t know what the site says now but when I looked (a few months ago) it didn’t make that clear. I think that it is a good thing but people who don’t do  their homework could be led into false conclusions. 

I think I did see that they added something about eating gluten daily on the website. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A biopsy is the gold standard of celiac diagnosis. 

Absolutely. Lab results are just an indication of who may or may not need a biopsy. So no symptoms and negative bloodwork probably okay. 

• Like 1