Menu

Chaos at ACT

DD17 was at her ACT today.  Halfway through the Reading section, her desk partner had a seizure.  DD had to alert the proctor.  911 was called.  EMTs moved DD from her seat to get the gurney in. The student became unconscious All the while the proctor kept telling them to continue with the exam.  The EMTs were asking about contact information, other staff came in the room.  The student was moved to the hallway where she began screaming and the class could hear the sounds of them treating her and their radios and such. This was after the proctor started the science section.  She said, "Ok, everyone, deep breath and concentrate."

DD said the group was visibly upset. OBVIOUSLY the more important thing is the student's(who was seizing) well being.  However, we are trying to think through what this will mean for DD.

Wonder if her scores will be canceled? She is applying to colleges this month.  She was counting on this score(2nd test).  The proctor said to expect a 5-6 week score hold because she had to fill out an incident report.  And also told the students ONLY the reading section score would be affected.  DD said the loud noises right outside of the door(and they took her out UNCONSCIOUS) were so distracting for at least half of the science section.The proctor told them anyone who wanted to could cancel their scores today.  No one did.  DD didn't know what to do!  She felt good about the math and writing sections.

Do they superscore ACT?  She did really well in reading last time.  Science could've used a bump, but that probably won't happen.

Wonder how this will be handled? DD is not sure if she should call, email?  And who?  She is afraid the proctor will try to minimize the interruption on her report...

• Sad 7

34 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I don’t know what to say beyond hugs and most schools do superstore the ACT in our experience.  Is the first section the one she needed to improve the most?

The Reading section was a strong score last time.  She had prepped for the SAT and took it once,scored well.  She wanted to try the ACT.  She kinda took it cold and scored pretty well, so she chose to retake the ACT instead of a second try to the SAT. UGH.  She prepped a bit this time and was ready for science section.  She said forget an improved score there.  She feels like her math improved(following a brief geometry review over the last couple weeks.)

I'm happy to hear ACT is often superscored.  IF they don't cancel it all...

• Sad 1

Personally, I would go on and register her for the October sitting before the scores come out, knowing that she will raise her science score and possibly reading as well in October.  Many schools will superscore for admission, but usually not for scholarships.  Or research the schools she's applying to and see what their policy is regarding superscoring and scholarship.  Just my .02.

(Btw, I believe the deadline for registering - without late registration fees -  for Oct exam is Sept 20.  By the time you know her scores with the 5 week delay it will be too late for her to take it again for most colleges scholarship deadlines.)

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, rjand6more said:

I'm happy to hear ACT is often superscored.  IF they don't cancel it all...

Not to be discouraging but I wouldn't say 'often.' Here's a list of schools that do, although you should of course double-check the schools on her list: 

https://blog.prepscholar.com/colleges-that-superscore-act-complete-list

Edited to add that you can see on the chart that "superscoring" does not mean the exact same thing at each school listed.

If your preference is that the score be canceled, I'd be on the phone with ACT and encouraging others present that day to do the same. This is a strong and well documented disturbance. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Personally, I would go on and register her for the October sitting before the scores come out, knowing that she will raise her science score and possibly reading as well in October.  Many schools will superscore for admission, but usually not for scholarships.  Or research the schools she's applying to and see what their policy is regarding superscoring and scholarship.  Just my .02.

(Btw, I believe the deadline for registering - without late registration fees -  for Oct exam is Sept 20.  By the time you know her scores with the 5 week delay it will be too late for her to take it again for most colleges scholarship deadlines.)

Yes, today she decided to retake it without canceling.  She decided to use the current scores for 2 schools and hold off on the third and do regular admission with the new scores.

She is competitive for scholarships with the current scores.  One school she needs 2 more points...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, katilac said:

Not to be discouraging but I wouldn't say 'often.' Here's a list of schools that do, although you should of course double-check the schools on her list: 

https://blog.prepscholar.com/colleges-that-superscore-act-complete-list

Edited to add that you can see on the chart that "superscoring" does not mean the exact same thing at each school listed.

If your preference is that the score be canceled, I'd be on the phone with ACT and encouraging others present that day to do the same. This is a strong and well documented disturbance. 

THANK YOU!  2/3 of her schools are on the list and it sounds favorable.  

She decided to retake without canceling.  It's possible all the scores will be canceled.  The room was not properly supervised with the test booklets out.  I can not image that will not be grounds for canceling at least that section.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rjand6more said:

Yes, today she decided to retake it without canceling.  She decided to use the current scores for 2 schools and hold off on the third and do regular admission with the new scores.

She is competitive for scholarships with the current scores.  One school she needs 2 more points...

Good for her!  Hope she hits it out of the park in October!

• Like 3