Menu

After Prima Latina?

SophiaH

My dd (1st grade) is currently going through Prima Latina. We are spending four days a week, about 20 minutes a day on it. She is doing so well, memorizing the prayers and vocabulary, and really loves learning it. We both like the program, and are planning on going into Latina Christiana eventually. We are on par to finish Prima Latina by the start of 2nd grade. LC I is for 4th and up, so I'm trying to figure out what to use for the next year or two.

There are so many options, and I've been trying to figure it out by searching posts here and looking at curricula websites, but I haven't found a clear solution yet. So, I figured all the minds here could help me out!

Here is what I'm looking for:

I don't mind doing something completely different from what we're doing now, but I don't want to do something that would be all review or way too easy. I would like to continue to build on what we're learning now. Oral or writing is okay, as I can usually adjust it to our needs. I would like to try to keep consistency with the pronunciation, so ecclesiastical is preferred. I am learning right along with her and hope to jump ahead of her starting next semester by studying the Henle texts I have on my shelf, if that makes any difference.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey Jessica and Amie,

Thanks for replying. I had thought of that too, but didn't know if it would be necessary to move so slowly that we would get bored? I know that the first part of LC I is review, but I'd also read that it gets into heavier grammar pretty quickly? Is that accurate? We're almost into Second Grade FLL if that helps.

Anyone have any experience using LC I with a 2nd grader?

and LC I in grade 3. It was not a problem. However, my ds had done R&S grammar 3 in grade 2 and was in R&S grammar 4 in grade 3. In other words, he was working a grade ahead in R&S grammar! I am not sure how much that helped him. Probably some.

I say just keep going and head into LC I and see how it goes. I am not really familiar with anything else, so I can't speak to the other suggestions. However, given the wisdom on this board, I am sure they are great ideas.

I started PL with my oldest 2 (boys) when the oldest was in 3rd and the younger in 1st. When we were done with PL, we did Minimus, primarily because I was worried about the same thing the OP is, for a summer. It was fun, but I would not say their Latin abilities really improved over that time. I didn't buy the teacher's manual, so I knew there were things I didn't understand, and that frustrated me. It was a nice break, though.

We went into LC I in 4th/2nd grade, and it took us about 2 years to get through it. Now it's been another year and a half, and we're almost done with LC II. Luke, the younger boy (now in 4th grade), never had any problems with the grammar in LC I, and we just moved slowly on the vocab (because there are more words per week than with PL), with lots of review. I did most of it orally, since he wasn't really ready to do a lot of extra writing at that age. I would say that both boys have a very thorough grasp of both the Latin they have covered, as well as English grammar now. I have been very happy with the LC program, and I am planning on starting my next 2 (also teaching them together) in another year or so, when the older is in 2nd and the younger in 1st.

Thank you Cynthia and Claire for your responses. It sounds like going straight into LCI would be fine as long as we move at dd's pace. Claire, I am thinking about using Minimus as a fun supplement to LC, but I saw that it uses the Classical Pronunciation. Did you have any issues with that?

Thanks!