Menu

Applying to highschool... standardized test?

I will be submitting an application for my DS (current 8th grader) at a local high school for the 2020-2021 school year.  DS has been homeschooled from birth.   

The application requires three years of report cards, an option for letters of recommendation, etc.  In my years of schooling, I keep reading lists, NME score reports, and accept only 90% or better on math tests . How on earth do I report that?  

I'm also considering adding a standardized test score to his application.  I am considering the PSAT 8/9, but it isn't offered locally.  Is there another test we might consider for this type of application?  Should I feel as pressed as I do to proved an "objective" test score?  

Thanks!

Doodlebug

Edited by Doodlebug

Is it a private or public school? Dd took the SSAT and the SAT (for a different purpose). We submitted those scores and grades from outside sources including AoPS online classes. At the end we didn't apply to many since those didn't stand out in a way for me to give up homeschooling and the one we applied to doesn't need those test scores as they administer their own math assessment. Actually we did apply to another that required SSAT or SAT, depending on the entering grade. The SSAT test was for day schools and boarding schools, and I decided against the latter after attending the school fair.

For public schools that require test scores, at least for the local one, they also administer their own.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Is it a private or public school? Dd took the SSAT and the SAT (for a different purpose). We submitted those scores and grades from outside sources including AoPS online classes. At the end we didn't apply to many since those didn't stand out in a way for me to give up homeschooling and the one we applied to doesn't need those test scores as they administer their own math assessment. Actually we did apply to another that required SSAT or SAT, depending on the entering grade. The SSAT test was for day schools and boarding schools, and I decided against the latter after attending the school fair.

For public schools that require test scores, at least for the local one, they also administer their own.

This is a high school affiliated with our state university.  So, it is technically a public school, but we would be paying tuition.  I'm not certain it's what I want for DS.  However, having options seems to be healthy as we move forward into high school, and I want to be earnest in making him a strong candidate.  

There is a state exam DS will need to pass if he is accepted.  However, I'm keen on protecting his academic footprint as much as I can prior to entering systems that will require such testing.

Thank you! 
Doodle  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

This is a high school affiliated with our state university.  So, it is technically a public school, but we would be paying tuition.  I'm not certain it's what I want for DS.  However, having options seems to be healthy as we move forward into high school, and I want to be earnest in making him a strong candidate.  

There is a state exam DS will need to pass if he is accepted.  However, I'm keen on protecting his academic footprint as much as I can prior to entering systems that will require such testing.

Thank you! 
Doodle  

We were at the same stage last year, making sure Dd had options. So we did the tours and such so that she could decide for herself. The SAT is deleted prior to 9th. 

• Like 1

I submitted an ACT score and letters of recommendation from her athletic coaches. I do not think she would have been accepted without them. I also made a transcript that covered seventh and eighth grade. For classes taken at home I just used my best judgement as far as giving grades. However, every situation is different. I would speak to people locally that have had their children accepted into the program. What are their thoughts on acceptance procedures and requirements?

• Like 1

Ds went in at 8th. I made up my own report card for the previous 2 years finding some template I found online and tweaking it. I don't do a lot of grades either and expect work to be corrected until correct, I just assigned the grades I thought he deserved and his test scores and subsequent grades in school backed up my assessment. I did not tell them that I didn't really grade him of course.  I also have course descriptions for the previous year . The local school here does ITBS testing so I administered that at home and also sent that. I would call them to ask them what type of tests they accept/expect. Dh wanted to take honor's courses or I wouldn't have done that much. With his scores he got into those no problem. That is the big thing really, around here anyway, getting them to let your kid into the level of classes you want. The highschool is especially hs unfriendly and like to knock kids down to remedial levels(pre-alg in 9th), I don't know if they just don't like hs'ers or if they have been burned by hs kids entering and not being up to level. I hope my dd's know by 8th if they want to go in(and I really hope they stay home) as I don't want to have to fight the highschool about where to place them. Past 9th you can't even enter them without them being knocked down a grade.

• Like 1

Unless you know your student will really ace those private school tests, I wouldn't do them. They're really intended to sort the great from the future nobel winners (not that I think they necessarily do this, but you get the idea). As such, kids who tend to ace tests still often don't look amazing on them. Competitive private schools understand what they're looking at. A public school might not. You'd be better off with SAT, PSAT, or ACT scores, IMHO.

But if they don't ask for scores, you genuinely may not need them. Treat it like a college application and make your student's middle school years sound challenging and excellent on the transcript instead. They probably really were.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, Farrar said:

Unless you know your student will really ace those private school tests, I wouldn't do them. They're really intended to sort the great from the future nobel winners (not that I think they necessarily do this, but you get the idea). As such, kids who tend to ace tests still often don't look amazing on them. Competitive private schools understand what they're looking at. A public school might not. You'd be better off with SAT, PSAT, or ACT scores, IMHO.

But if they don't ask for scores, you genuinely may not need them. Treat it like a college application and make your student's middle school years sound challenging and excellent on the transcript instead. They probably really were.

I SO appreciate this advice.  I do love that there's no risk for an 8th grader taking the SAT -- the score is dropped.  I assume it's that way for the ACT as well?  

Thanks!

Doodlebug

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

I SO appreciate this advice.  I do love that there's no risk for an 8th grader taking the SAT -- the score is dropped.  I assume it's that way for the ACT as well?  

Thanks!

Doodlebug

ACT scores are kept but are expired after 5 years, so yes. It won’t show.

• Like 1