Menu

I must live on Mars

klmama

Why do people ask others to double check their work, if they really don't want to be made aware of errors???? 

If you want someone to pat you on the back, word it so that they know that!  Say something like, "Celebrate with me!  I finished ____!"  Then everyone will say things like, "Good for you!  That's great!  I'm proud of you!"  Then, you'll be happy.  Don't ask questions like these: "Could you check this over? Did I miss anything?  Is there anything I should fix?"  If you ask that way, someone might actually tell you.  Even just asking for people to comment invites... you know... comments.  If you don't want comments or suggestions or anything besides pure praise, please think before you ask.  People want to do what you ask, so ask them what you really want. 

*Sigh*  

Yes, as you guessed, I ticked someone off by answering their request for suggestions with... gasp... a suggestion.  :mellow:

• Like 2

I have had that happen. Once, I thought I was proofing an entire book before it went to direct publishing. Only I wasn’t really, because the person requesting me to look it over had no intention of changing a thing. So...🤷🏻‍♀️ Okay, then.

When it comes to work, especially creative work, I've found it helps to *ask first*  something like, "This is amazing!  Do you just want to be told how great it is that you accomplished this, or do you want constructive criticism?"  Especially if they are new at whatever thing it is, like writing. It's their baby and usually they're not ready for anyone to point out how ugly it is, even if they ask for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katy said:

When it comes to work, especially creative work, I've found it helps to *ask first*  something like, "This is amazing!  Do you just want to be told how great it is that you accomplished this, or do you want constructive criticism?"  Especially if they are new at whatever thing it is, like writing. It's their baby and usually they're not ready for anyone to point out how ugly it is, even if they ask for it.

That's my new plan.