Menu

If you used EIW

did you add any grammar and spelling and if so, what did you add?  I am once again finding myself not knowing what to pick for my 6th grader.  AAS just doesn't seem to work. MCT (we did Island) didn't seem to teach him a  lot about grammar....

Suggestions/ opinions??  thank you

We used EIW 6 last year, and while it didn't work for us as a writing program, the first half does cover grammar, and that went well for us. 

I didn't add spelling, because DS is a pretty natural speller (although we have used Sequential Spelling in the past, and liked that). 

I used EIW3 as an after-school course when my oldest was 7 or so.  It had more grammar in it than I was taught the entire 12 years I was at school.  This is probably more reflective of the complete absence of grammar instruction in in NZ during the 1970s and 1980s than an indication it has a lot of grammar, but it does have enough for most people.  If you want WTM level grammar you will need to add to it.

Edited by kiwik

For level 6, Essentials in Writing includes grammar--I probably wouldn't add on a grammar program, but if you think it's light, you could choose a grammar focus another year. (I'm not one who thinks every year needs to be a grammar focus year!) We did add spelling (AAS actually.) What about AAS wasn't working for you? I had one who really needed lots of review incorporated in our 20 minute lesson times to make things stick, and I also really focused on having my kids teach the concept back and making sure they really knew it inside & out before moving on (whether or not the words were mastered, they needed to really understand that concept well.) Also, independent writing for a struggling speller will likely still have lots of mistakes without a separate editing time. You'll want to separate spelling from writing, whatever you use. HTH some!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, MerryAtHope said:

For level 6, Essentials in Writing includes grammar--I probably wouldn't add on a grammar program, but if you think it's light, you could choose a grammar focus another year. (I'm not one who thinks every year needs to be a grammar focus year!) We did add spelling (AAS actually.) What about AAS wasn't working for you? I had one who really needed lots of review incorporated in our 20 minute lesson times to make things stick, and I also really focused on having my kids teach the concept back and making sure they really knew it inside & out before moving on (whether or not the words were mastered, they needed to really understand that concept well.) Also, independent writing for a struggling speller will likely still have lots of mistakes without a separate editing time. You'll want to separate spelling from writing, whatever you use. HTH some!

I don't know!!  He was doing so well during lessons but then would just do a terrible job when writing during all other times.  So i stopped AAS bc it just seemed like a colossal waste of time

Someone on here suggested Apples and Pears but I am at a loss if I want to spend money on another spelling program or it is all just a lost cause....

But the time I came to US and learned to speak the language I was almost college-age and I never had any "spelling lessons", but I think I just naturally do it well, so I don't know if it's one of those "you either got it or you don't" things

19 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I don't know!!  He was doing so well during lessons but then would just do a terrible job when writing during all other times.  So i stopped AAS bc it just seemed like a colossal waste of time

Someone on here suggested Apples and Pears but I am at a loss if I want to spend money on another spelling program or it is all just a lost cause....

But the time I came to US and learned to speak the language I was almost college-age and I never had any "spelling lessons", but I think I just naturally do it well, so I don't know if it's one of those "you either got it or you don't" things

Must be natural for you--most people are not natural spellers in English! 

None of your kids are very old yet--I'd expect spelling in outside writing for elementary aged students to have plenty of errors no matter what you use to teach. In outside writing, they have to think about so many things at once--spelling, grammar, syntax, what information to include, how to compose sentences, how to structure paragraphs, creativity or things like using a good hook etc... Most kids don't have the life experience yet to be able to put all of those skills together at once and need a separate editing time. 

• Like 1