Menu

What I feed my dog, as an example. But, what to feed my cat?

Familia

18 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Sous vide? Is he pro or con? 

Very pro. Some day I plan to get one too, but at this stage in my life I'm more about fast than gourmet, so went with an instant pot instead. 

Also very pro Miquon math, which is one that doesn't get talked enough about around here. 

We all have our favorite topics I'm sure. I'm passionate about letting kids read twaddle if they want to, and...not sure, lol. 

7 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

What is twaddle?

For kids, it would be say, Nancy Drew, Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High, or whatever the modern equivalent of those is. For adults it would be romance novels, spy novels, cozy mysteries, anything that isn't "literary fiction". 

As a writer of twaddle, and a reader of twaddle, i would be very hypocritical to deny my children the pleasure 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.chewy.com/instinct-by-natures-variety-limited/dp/44654?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Instinct&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwcX-y_P04wIVh9lkCh0UnA8MEAQYAiABEgLcE_D_BwE

My cat eats Instinct by Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Turkey Recipe-- 1/2 a can in the morning and half at night. No kibble  but he does get Lysine treats which are chewy.

He was eating Evo turkey when it was suddenly discontinued. I tried a number of other foods and they all caused some digestive system problems. It was a relief to find a comparable replacement.

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 1

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

People object to that?  

Am I correct in assuming things like Captain Underpants and Goosebumps are also twaddle?  

ETA: What kind of twaddle do you write?

Yes, there are those within the homeschool movement, typically with a Charlotte Mason emphasis, who very much restrict/disagree with twaddle. 

And yes, those are as well. 

As for me, I write romance 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am just happy when my kids read anything.  

That is very cool!  Are you willing to share a title or two?   I could use some good twaddle!

I write for Harlequin. The Puppy Proposal (currently out of print I think, but may be used copies, and ebook version, and it was recently re-released as part of a two book set called Girl's Best Friend), A Valentine for the Veterinarian, Do You Take this Daddy, The Groom's Little Girls, A Wedding Worth Waiting For, and I think that's all so far. Another is at the publishers, but won't be printed until next year, and I'm working on a  new series now. And I may have those last two out of order, lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

As a total aside (I’m so sorry OP!), I just learned a thing at my conference last about twaddle...!

I don’t mind at all, as a matter of fact, I was going to ask @Spy Car about his steamer😹  Although I am thinking of saving for a Dupray Tosca, I have seen that cube one before, but I cannot remember the name.  One complaint of the cube one was that the hose was fixed in place, so once the connection bit the dust, there was nothing to do but retire the steamer permanently.  Do you see that as a likely issue?

(as to twaddle, I did limit it due to time, but limitation can breed fascination, so went ahead and I steered them towards a few series for their indulgent/easy read pleasure.  But, I absolutely, positively refused to read twaddle aloud.  After my first read aloud of a Magic Treehouse book - that.was.it. Good literature, in contrast, flows off the tongue pleasantly)

2 hours ago, Familia said:

I don’t mind at all, as a matter of fact, I was going to ask @Spy Car about his steamer😹  Although I am thinking of saving for a Dupray Tosca, I have seen that cube one before, but I cannot remember the name.  One complaint of the cube one was that the hose was fixed in place, so once the connection bit the dust, there was nothing to do but retire the steamer permanently.  Do you see that as a likely issue?

(as to twaddle, I did limit it due to time, but limitation can breed fascination, so went ahead and I steered them towards a few series for their indulgent/easy read pleasure.  But, I absolutely, positively refused to read twaddle aloud.  After my first read aloud of a Magic Treehouse book - that.was.it. Good literature, in contrast, flows off the tongue pleasantly)

Since you are the OP, I got a Dupray "Neat."

It is pretty darn awesome, especially at the price point of $149 (I paid $139 due to an Amazon flash sale).

On the really tough jobs I suspect a professional level steamer like the Dupray Tosca (about $1000) would make for faster work than the Neat. The Neat is so awesome, I can only imagine what a Tosca might do. I will admit I've fantasized about an upgrade. In the meantime this little steamer has been a game changer.

It could not be better on wood floors. And I've been going to town on all the really hard to clean spots around the house. These steamers are impressive. 

The current model of the Neat does have a fixed hose. Supposedly they are coming out with a new version that has a removable hose in the relatively near future. I don't see this as a big issue, but who knows?

If you get a Tosca, I will be envious.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying a new level of clean.

The one warning I will give is that I was unaware that I had a hidden OCD/neat-freak side to my personality. The steamer has certainly awakened that compulsion, IYKWIM?

Bill

• Thanks 1

Our vet advised a grain free diet and recommended a couple of brands and products within those brands. One was a wet food, Fancy Feast Classics. They ate a couple of bites and then spent a considerable amount of time trying to bury it. The next one we tried was Wellness Healthy Weight (one of the three cats was severely overweight & it's easier to feed them all the same thing). That worked for a couple of years, but when one cat developed bowel issues, I switched them to Royal Canin Digestive. They have been eating that for about 18 months with no issues. I started with the least expensive recommendation and moved up, eventually ending with the most expensive option. We do get a good discount ordering through the online portal from our vet's office and it is delivered to our house with no delivery fee.

Our first cat developed bowel & digestive issues late in life and he needed a high protein, grain free diet. We made him "chicken jello" (an aspic) using bone broth, Knox gelatin and grilled chicken with no seasonings. We whirred it in the blender until it was smooth, then kept it refrigerated. We didn't look for a commercial product like this, my dh is a foodie and came up with the recipe. Our vet thought is was fantastic, so that's what we went with. We made it up every 5 days or so, IIRC. He ate that for the rest of his life.