Menu

Limited options...AP Language

I have posted before about the frustration of having my dd take AP classes in our area: public schools only allow home schoolers who are athletes on campus; private schools allow classes to be taken but even if only 1-2 classes are taken it's still 4K in tuition which is not happening; charter school requires full attendance which is also not happening. She can test at the charter school but not at  other schools. She is fine self-studying for most of the AP exams but the AP Language is the one for which she really wants to have a group/class setting. No way is on-line an option due to the cost. Any ideas?? I already knew this would be a more difficult year for her as the majority of the students who were in my co-op classes either graduated or are finishing their high school classes at the local CC. So she has lost her debate/discussion pals and that is what she thrives on.

Our local LAC allows classes to be audited for $50 each. I have a few friends who have extensively studied French, German, and Japanese using this option. One even went on to get a Master’s degree in German. So it wouldn’t be AP specific, but at least it would be interactive. Is there any reason she can’t study her foreign language at the local CC?

• Like 1

Is there any reason she can’t study her foreign language at the local CC?

Foreign language isn't a problem (she has an excellent program she is using at home) as she isn't pursuing the AP option for that. She is taking the AP Language exam. Taking classes at our local CC isn't an option right now because 1) it costs way more than $50 even to audit a course and 2) the English classes are horrid - truly horrid. So while she will most likely complete her first 2 years after graduation she and I definitely do not feel it is where she needs to be just yet.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, BakersDozen said:

She is fine self-studying for most of the AP exams but the AP Language is the one for which she really wants to have a group/class setting. No way is on-line an option due to the cost. Any ideas?? .... So she has lost her debate/discussion pals and that is what she thrives on.

If online isn't an option & you don't have a local, cost-efficient option, she'll just have to power through. Unless you can find 2-3 other students to join her once a week, maybe in your home?

If online isn't an option & you don't have a local, cost-efficient option, she'll just have to power through. Unless you can find 2-3 other students to join her once a week, maybe in your home?

I just met some students yesterday who may be willing/interested in joining us for literature/language discussion. Fingers crossed...

• Like 2