Menu

What to do in Albany, NY?

MEmama

We are planning a summer college tour and will be in Albany for a day or two. Besides the state house and NY state museum, is there anything we shouldn't miss? Keeping in mind the trip has a college focus--so, things that will appeal to a high school student looking ahead to university (not regional stuff like the finger lakes, we've done that). 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Lunch on the deck over the river at Brown’s Brewing Company in Troy, if you’re visiting RPI or  Russell Sage 🙂

Thanks--good food is always a priority for the teen. :)  Is there a good place for tacos, by chance? He wouldn't survive 4 years without great tacos. Lol

We'll be looking at RPI on that trip. Any places that might give a good look into student life is a bonus.

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Thanks--good food is always a priority for the teen. 🙂  Is there a good place for tacos, by chance? He wouldn't survive 4 years without great tacos. Lol

We'll be looking at RPI on that trip. Any places that might give a good look into student life is a bonus.

My son goes to RPI.  He says that good tacos are not in Troy.  He can answer any questions you might have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JenneinCA said:

My son goes to RPI.  He says that good tacos are not in Troy.  He can answer any questions you might have.

Ugh, a taco desert, huh? Might be a deal breaker for him. 😂

We might have more questions in time. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

Lark Street maybe

tacos - Pancho's  in the Walmart Plaza area further east on 7 than RPI

if you plan on visiting Saratoga Springs State Park, maybe go north thru Cohoes on the way and take a minute for Cohoes Falls.  If he's interested in Erie Canal there are a locks and towpath remnants around.

Thanks. Historical stuff is always interesting to us and will be a good way to help break up the focus of the trip. 

9 hours ago, umsami said:

Not tacos, but Ali Baba's in Troy has great Turkish food.  It's fun to watch the bread puff up ginormously in the hot oven.  Their durum sandwiches/gyros were great as was the lahmajun (Turkish pizza).

Sounds fantastic! Thanks! 

I love Troy 🙂 went to Russell Sage, bought our first house there, had my first kids there...

I know people complain about it, but it holds a special place in my heart! And it’s definitely much nicer now than it was then- revitalization. I mean I still would not walk around downtown at night by myself- but the college kids hang out down there where the bars are on the weekend nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I love Troy 🙂 went to Russell Sage, bought our first house there, had my first kids there...

I know people complain about it, but it holds a special place in my heart! And it’s definitely much nicer now than it was then- revitalization. I mean I still would not walk around downtown at night by myself- but the college kids hang out down there where the bars are on the weekend nights.

Can I ask what " people complain about"? 

I know it's grittier and more industrial than where we live, but most places are. Are there particular concerns we should know about?

Well yeah, it’s an industrial old city, so not necessarily pretty. 

“the projects” are located right in downtown and there can be a fair amount of crime, probably no more than in any other inner city area, I’d guess.

We lived both on and off campus and all our guy friends (Sage just went co Ed) were up the hill at RPI. Never had any issues with crime on or off campus. Oh wait that’s not true, my friends car was stolen one night.

A lot of my friends stayed in Troy raising families there so it’s not that bad!

I’m sure they address safety during visits/ open houses/ etc so I’d ask about what things are like these days.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

My daughter will be heading to RPI in the fall.  Prior to her initial visit, I read up on RPI on CC.  After reading all of the comments about Troy, I would have cancelled the tour if it wasn't for the fact that RPI was right on our way to visiting our son at Williams and we had some time to kill.   I am glad I didn't cancel the tour because my daughter loved the campus and RPI shot to the top of her list.

After visiting campus, my daughter, husband, and I walked downtown from campus and had lunch at one of the restaurants on the river. (I can't remember the name, but the local beer and food were very good , and it was very nice sitting on the outside deck overlooking the river.  

We didn't explore all of Troy, but the area that we visited downtown didn't feel unsafe - it just felt a little rundown and neglected.  Some of the buildings could have used a fresh coat of paint, etc.   Having said that, I wouldn't want my daughter walking downtown at night by herself, but I wouldn't want her doing that anywhere.  

• Like 1